Hardy basil

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardy basil

I know we have been talking about basil on another thread, where is grows etc. but I thought I would start this thread on varieties of basil.

I live on the pennines, so I am looking for a basil I can start undercover and then plant with my outdoor tomatoes but it must be hardy and love our northern climate. Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

I would love to know more about perennial herbs as well. Does anyone have a good knowledge on growing herbs here in the UK?
    Jax

Comment

Jekka McVicar Maybe we should sign her up as well!
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

I reckon we should start a list of all the people we would like to join the vine in order to pick their brains. Then when we know whom we want; all send them a letter asking them to join.
        My mother always told me "If you don't ask you don't get"
        Jax

Comment

Well you all know who I would want to ask - Hugh!
          [

Comment

I go for Monty Don and Sarah Raven
            Best wishes
            Andrewo
            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

I, over many years have grown or do grow a large variety of herbs.....most are for culinary use some for other uses. The list may sound a lot but some are just a couple of 5" pots...i only tend to grow what i will use....especially for the annuals. I am no herbalist but will try and help where i can.

I grow the following (from memory so may be an odd ommission!):

Alexanders, Angelica, Anise, Basil (6 varieties), Bergamot, Caper, Carraway, Catmint, Chervil, Chives, Claytonia, Comfry, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Elecampane, Fennel, Fenugreek, Garlic, Goosefoot, Hyssop (for attracting bees), Lovage, Marjoram (x3), Mint (x4), Orach, Oregano, Parsley (x2), Pyrethrum (insecticide), Rocket, Rosemary, Sage (x3), Tarragon, Thyme, Yarrow.
              Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Geordie that is some herb garden!!
                [

Comment

i found this title while searching the web for hardy basil. not sure there is such a thing, but did find this thread and read through it. don't see anything yet about what i would call 'hardy basil'.

i would like to know if there are any varieties of basil that can be set out in the st. louis missouri area in early to late april, and then cover, if a hard freeze is exptected.

does anyone have any information on the ability of various basil varieties to be able to stand temperatures of 33-34 degrees, or which would be ok if covered when temperatures overnight might drop to 27 or 28 degrees.

thanks for any information.

Comment

you've ressurected a 6 year old thread, so no wonder you haven't found anyhting

there's no such thing as a hardy basil, the leaves will turn black and/or shrivel if they get cold or frosted.
                    They like heat, they're a mediterranean plant, and the med doesn't get cool in the night in the summer

Comment

The man/woman who could produce such an animal would become a very rich person indeed methinks.................
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by hardybasil View Post
                        does anyone have any information on the ability of various basil varieties to be able to stand temperatures of 33-34 degrees, or which would be ok if covered when temperatures overnight might drop to 27 or 28 degrees.

thanks for any information.
                        I take it those temperatures are in F rather than the C we are used to?

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                          I take it those temperatures are in F rather than the C we are used to?
                          Looks like one of each to me!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X