When to pick aubergines

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to pick aubergines

I've got one plant each of mini, white and long. They look ready to pick, but how to tell when they're at their optimum? I've never eaten a white or mini one!

*jealous* I wish mine would bloomin` flower!!

Comment

(but to answer your question... I'm not sure either so will be watching with anticpation :P)

Comment

Well, I'll share one of mine with you!
        Attached Files

Comment

The question of when to harvest crops comes up time and time again, and really in most cases its down to personal choices. Are the aubergines big enough for your personal use? in which case harvest and enjoy. It will also spur the plant on into producing more flowers and fruit.

Ian

Comment

I agree, pick them when you need them - we had a small one to encourage more - a pingtung long that was only about 3" long, they're edible. But don't leave them too long as if they start to lose their sheen they're past their best.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 07-07-2010, 10:12 AM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

^Is also jealous as mine are in flower but not set any fruit yet!

Comment

Blimey, they look good, no fruits set on mine yet but I'm used to that, last year was the first year in ages that I managed any.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thank you for the replies. It's not as simple as, say tomatoes where you can see that it's ready to be picked! I don't need to encourage more fruits, more a case of limiting them They are in a GH though which is bound to have given them an advantage.
                  I don't want to pick them undersized though as I've only got the 3 plants. Is there as optimal springiness or something to tell when they're ready?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X