Confused.. courgette or pumpkin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused.. courgette or pumpkin

I was given some veg plants by my sister earlier in the year which I planted into containers. My sis did not mark what these plants were, she told me some were courgettes; some were pumpkin and some may have been cucumber.
    Some of the plants have been eaten by slugs How can I tell what I have got growing?
    The plants have tendrils and large leaves.

Does anyone have any idea what they are?

Please be gentle with me as this is my first post

Steve

All of the above have large leaves. Tendrils would suggest cucumber, but not necessarily. Can your sister remember what varieties they were? Do you have any flowers yet?

Comment

All 3 plant types could have tendrils I think. I know certainly the pumpkin and cucumber do/can.

Might be easier to post a photo of each plant. People will be able to identify them for you then.
      My 3D Pumpkin Carvings
      https://www.facebook.com/totallypumpkins

2014 Giant Pumpkin Diary
      http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...51148&action=L

Comment

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
        How can I tell what I have got growing?
        You can't carve a cucumber
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Think i have the answer....

My sis thinks they are the large orange pumpkins that you carve at Hallowen.

Hope I've attached images correctly.

Thanks for all you help

Comment

If it's just a choice between bog standard courgette or pumpkin then you have pumpkins...definately not cucumber.
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
              If it's just a choice between bog standard courgette or pumpkin then you have pumpkins...definately not cucumber.
              Well i glad that sorted then , pumpkins it is.
              Didnt know that the leaves would be that big.

Hope they grow ok in the containers? Not a lot of space in my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                You can't carve a cucumber
                I'll give it a good go

Comment

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
                  Well i glad that sorted then , pumpkins it is.
                  Didnt know that the leaves would be that big.

Hope they grow ok in the containers? Not a lot of space in my garden.
                  I've never tried growing them in containers but would imagine you'll have a regular job of watering on your hands
                  Also they do like to roam a fair amount
                  Depending on what variety you've got you could either try training it up a support(if it's a smaller/lighter fruit) or if it's a larger variety I think I'd nip of the shoots once one or two fruit have formed.
                  There are other pot growers(of the legal type)on here,they may have better suggestions.
                  Hope it grows well.x

Comment

I had a similar niggling doubt, and suspect it's courgettes or marrows (the leaves have phallanges).

I also have, somehow, managed to keep alive socrates cucumbers on my kitchen windowsill with some fruit the length and width of something which is long and hard.

Would I be recommended to secure them with twine... the cucumbers, that is, fnarr, fnarr.

Comment

I would definitley say pumpkin too. I have a pumpkin in a window box type pot and its doing really well so far. Never grown them in a container before so it is a bit of an experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by General Woundwort View Post
                        .......... fruit the length and width of something which is long and hard.

oooooo Matron!

The containers are approx 18inches in diameter and 24inches deep.
                        I have installed an automatic watering system which waters twice a day for 5 minutes.

If there is a hose pipe ban, can i still use it?
                        or is that another thread??

Comment

Pumpkin it is.

Hosepipe ban would include the automatic watering device. But you might get away with it...However I would not and do not advise you break any restrictions.

Pumpkins will grow in containers, the size of the fruit might be restricted but I got an 8 pounder from a window box last year.

My first flower came out on the pumpkin today, a bit early but update on blog:

Ealing Pumpkins

Anyone else got flowers yet?

P

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpy View Post

Anyone else got flowers yet?

P
                            Most of mine are well and truly behind...to the extent that I'm actually concerned that even if they do ever set fruit they mightn't have time to mature......however.....two have pipped you at the post and have some ickle fruits just setting
                            (Gawd I hope I've not tempted fate with the whole Pride before Fall thing and go visit them tomorrow to find rotten balls of moosh)

Comment

Where abouts in Cardiff are you steve?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X