OOOPS! Pumpkin and squash advice needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOOPS! Pumpkin and squash advice needed

Hi folks. I overdid it. So now I want to know how I can squeeze the following plants into my plots.

I have 1 serpente de sicilia - that will be fine climbing up and along a wire fence I have made. Are there any of the rest that can join it?

4 courgette all green bush - I guess not from the name
    1 tromba d'Albenga - I'm hoping this is a possible for the fence as well.
    Then I have 1 hundredweight pumpkin - I may open up a compost heap for this one!

Then I have about 10 Hunter and 8 Hawk butternut squash plants I am hoping to run all these under my sweetcorn (2 patches of this so some of them will go in there). Has anyone grown these upwards rather than along?

Then I have 3 rouge vif d'etampes - now they can have a bed on their own but they will be close together as the bed is only 3 1/2 feet by about 12.

And last but not least, what am I going to do with 3 chicago warted hubbards from HSL???

Would any of these do under my apple trees which are not that shady as they are small trees?

I will, of course, be pressing some on fellow plotholders too but wondered if anyone here had some bright ideas. I could always put some large tubtrugs down on the working area of the plot but I don't get up to water everyday so I would like them in the ground ideally.

Any advice gratefully received!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

courgettes are bush, yes.

You could try training your trailing squashes in a spiral ?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Jeanied you can put nutterbut squash quite close together then let then run over each other, I put a cane in next to the roots then when the bed becomes a jungle you know where to aim the hosepipe to water them

Comment

I often plant them next to early potatoes or broad beans so when they are finished the squash has more room to spread.
        In the same way I have two planted in straw bales which will be trained over the compost heaps, making use of all available space

Comment

The tromba d'Albenga will definitely climb. I grew them up wigwams last year. Beware though they are very triphid like

Comment

I grew my Warted Hubbards in amongst my sweetcorn last year and they happily trail over/under each other.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
              Then I have about 10 Hunter and 8 Hawk butternut squash plants I am hoping to run all these under my sweetcorn (2 patches of this so some of them will go in there).
              You can grow some there but if you grow too many and too close then they start to climb over each other making the squash depth rather deep - found this problem in the past and they sort of took over the sweetcorn meaning that it didn't get much of a chance - think it needs to be a reasonable height before the squash go in if you see what I mean.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X