Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think Something is eating my beetroot (no not me!)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Something is eating my beetroot (no not me!)

I think that something is eating my beetroot as the leaves look a bit nibbled... I have slug pellets down (i know boo hiss) so it's not them... could it be birds?

Help I really want beetroot this year... they are in a bed with salad leaves, rocket and radishes...

Thanks
    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Originally posted by Jelliebabe View Post
    I think that something is eating my beetroot as the leaves look a bit nibbled... I have slug pellets down (i know boo hiss) so it's not them... could it be birds?

Help I really want beetroot this year... they are in a bed with salad leaves, rocket and radishes...

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry too much unless you want to eat the leaves yourself.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Birds, I caught a cheeky sparrow eating mine yesterday. While two of us were standing no more than 3 metres away!
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I've had mummy (or daddy!) feeding young sparrows beetroot leaves and lettuce from my salad bed. I've had to net it.

Comment

So would the beetroots still grow without any leaves (or just stumpy ones) on top?
          http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jelliebabe View Post
            So would the beetroots still grow without any leaves (or just stumpy ones) on top?
            Well I found that once netted (and provided the damage wasn't too extreme) then the beets and lettuces recovered and produced some new growth.
            Panic thee not. Nature is a wonderful thing!!
            Last edited by Sanjo; 18-06-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

b***** sparrows made a right meal of my beetroot leaves. I immediately covered them with netting and they seem to be recovering OK.

Comment

I've not had any beets this year, the sparrows have ripped off all the leaves, and no, they haven't regrown (but I've been too busy/lazy to net them)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  b***** sparrows made a right meal of my beetroot leaves. I immediately covered them with netting and they seem to be recovering OK.
                  I have 5 nesting pairs of sparrows and theyre clearing lots of Large White caterpillars off my caulis and brocs. You gotta love em
                  Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
                  Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X