Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buds on newly planted raspberries

Hi all
    I planted some bareroot raspberries of 3 different varities a few weeks ago, all seem to be showing some signs of life
    I was not totally surprised to see some buds on the autumn fruiting canes but am not sure if I should let them fruit this year or become more established first?
    But I am really confused that there also seem to be buds forming on the old brown cane of some of the summer fruiting ones (Glen Ample) - I thought they only fruited on new growth? Again am not sure whether to wait and see whethe I get any fruit, or to remove them and let the plant concentrate on making new canes?
    Any advice gratefully received - I am a complete newbie to raspberry growing!
    Many thanks
    Ruth

Mine did similar - the buds were shoots - and these in turn are now supporting berries.. a few new shoots (suckers?) came from the roots too, but the most from the old wood.

Comment

My understanding is that summer fruiting raspberries fruit on last years wood. Your bare rooted stock is last years cane so will fruit this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Suky View Post
        Your bare rooted stock is last years cane so will fruit this year.
        But do you nip them off to promote stronger growth or can you leave them to fruit?

Comment

Sounds like it's already been pruned down to around a foot anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
            Sounds like it's already been pruned down to around a foot anyway?
            The flower buds I want to know about keeping or removing are are growing from the top of the brown cane (along with lots of leaves), which was indeed cut to around a foot when I received them a few weeks ago.

A few other canes are starting to grow from the roots but these are still tiny at the moment.

Hope this clarifies

Thanks

Ruth

Comment

Yeah, I get what you mean - mine were exactly the same... I left them on. I don't see any reason why you can't leave them on?

I'll take a pic tonight to show you - the buds from the old wood grew into new stems - which are bearing fruit now..

Comment

Hi
                Can anyone advise I bought a variety of raspberry canes last autumn but was unable to plant them at the time because of all the frost and snow. I covered the roots with compost and there they remained until the end of January. The bed had been prepared and at the first opportunity in they went. I planted a row each of early, maincrop and autumn fruiting. I covered the ground between the rows with black fabric to supress weeds.

They were all very late coming into growth depite being watered and even now the early and main season ones have only reached about 3' in height. They have both tried to flower but I nipped these out. The autumn ones have grown to 6' but have not fruited.

I know that the early and main should fruit next year and then be cut off after fruiting. The lates I thought would have fruited by now but haven't.

Is there still time for this too happen and if they don't should I still cut them down this winter. Thanks
                Last edited by Whitespin; 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X