Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seakale

Has anyone ever grown seakale?

Does it take up a lot of room and what recipes can you do with it? This interests me as a crop. Would like asparagus but need more or a wider area to get a decent crop (unless someone knows of a couple of crowns that produce a lot!)
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Never grown it Andrew. Would you have room for a bed abour 4x 2 to grow some asparagus in?
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

No, I don't have that much room to give up! That would be luxury!
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but any grapes know where I can get a hold of Seakale plants or seeds?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thomas Etty, The Organic Catalogue and Chiltern seeds all sell seeds. And I'm sure I've seen one catalogue this year advertise plants, but can't find which one at the mo...

Comment

Snadger, having just opened a Marshalls catalogue that landed on my mat this morning, I have it on good authority that they are selling 5 'thongs' of Angers seakale for £9.65!

www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk
            Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

Originally posted by Poledragon View Post
              Snadger, having just opened a Marshalls catalogue that landed on my mat this morning, I have it on good authority that they are selling 5 'thongs' of Angers seakale for £9.65!

www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk
              I think at that price they can keep em!

Just seen some seeds in a Sutton's catalogue but they were listed under leaf beet and unsure if they are the same thing?

Thanks for letting me know anyway Poledragon!
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You're welcome Have to admit I thought they were a trifle steep too. 5 thongs of horseradish are £7.50, 25 JA's for £9.75... not the cheapest of catalogues.

Not sure I fancy the look of the seakale, tbh. It looks too much like the long straggly white shoots you find on spuds that have been lurking in the back of the cupboard for far too long. What does it actually taste like anyway?
                Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...orynumX5&pn=13

Snadger this should be a link to sea kale seeds at Chiltern seeds.
                  [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
                    http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...orynumX5&pn=13

Snadger this should be a link to sea kale seeds at Chiltern seeds.
                    Thanks Lesley, they seem a bit closer to my price bracket!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

There's Sea Kale plants on ebay, but its nearly six squid
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Poledragon View Post
                        You're welcome Have to admit I thought they were a trifle steep too. 5 thongs of horseradish are £7.50, 25 JA's for £9.75... not the cheapest of catalogues.

Not sure I fancy the look of the seakale, tbh. It looks too much like the long straggly white shoots you find on spuds that have been lurking in the back of the cupboard for far too long. What does it actually taste like anyway?
                        I've got horseradish, I just figure that if sea kale was good enough for the Edwardian Aristocracy???........It's good enough for me.

Its supposed to taste of a cross between celery and chickory although it's a brassica so will probably have cabbage undertones!

There aint much fresh vegetable matter around at the time of year it's harvested...Its an archaetectural flowering plant...... I've now got plenty of room....it's in keeping with the Victorian Kitchen Garden ethos which I am trying to adopt, and if nothing else it will make an interesting talking point!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          There's Sea Kale plants on ebay, but its nearly six squid
                          Six squid???.....Is that a poorly gastropod???

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've managed to see three potted plants of seakale which I grew from seed last year (I think the seed was from Kings) through the winter, and they are now beginning to flower. I have read that flowering does no harm to the plant, but obviously being in pots (albeit largish ones) they may be a bit stressed anyway.

I can't plant them out, for varying reasons (soil, potential moves) and am really growing them as "stock" plants to get some thongs from in the next year or two.

Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on removing or leaving the flowers?
                            Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by bugs View Post
                              I've managed to see three potted plants of seakale which I grew from seed last year (I think the seed was from Kings) through the winter, and they are now beginning to flower. I have read that flowering does no harm to the plant, but obviously being in pots (albeit largish ones) they may be a bit stressed anyway.

I can't plant them out, for varying reasons (soil, potential moves) and am really growing them as "stock" plants to get some thongs from in the next year or two.

Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on removing or leaving the flowers?
                              Hi Bugs, just thought I'd say hello and welcome to the vine!
                              I have a few seedlings of seakale ready to plant out in a few days, but I have no idea how to treat them after that apart from blanching the following spring.
                              If mine attempt to flower I think I'll just let them get on with it but I'll nip off the seed heads if they form!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X