Carrots and parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots and parsnips

the raised bed i grew my carrots in last year has ended up being the only bed left that i can grow this years carrots and parsnips in! obviously bad planning, but nonetheless, here i am!

so what are the chances of the dreaded carrot root fly and is there anything i can do to prevent them? or should i even grow carrots and parsnips this year?

i do have tons of enviromesh stuff so, in theory i could cover the entire bed - i'm wondering if that is protection enough?

any thoughts?

Did your carrots or parsnips get root fly last year? If they did, then there's a chance of larvae still in the soil, I think, so would be safer to not bother in that patch again - maybe pots for this year?
    If they didn't get hit last year, then they should be okay in the same patch again. Enviromesh is fab for keeping them out, and if you can cover the whole bed, that's even better

Comment

Pots....is my suggestion.

Even if only 1 got it last year it's not worth it.

Comment

i cant remember if any of them got it or not to be honest - i think i fed the whole lot to the horses so i didnt really check any of them!

Comment

and on that note, what would i plant in place then?

Comment

can anyone hear me sitting in the corner quiety sobbing cos no-one wants to talk to me....???

Comment

What about some beetroot? Dunno if carrot root fly will infect that.. what about squash? (plug / young plants?)

Comment

Chinese Cabbagge.....................maybe Christmas tatties.......
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Leeks, leeks and more leeks

Ian

Comment

i have leeks. i have sprouts. and i have pumpkins and squashes! oh, and i have beetroot seeds. so i guess i could plant the lot then!

thank you.

quietly dries her tears and goes looking for her trowel....

Comment

peas? can i plant them after roots?

Comment

I heard on gardeners world that the carrot fly can only get 18 inches of the ground. ......... Interesting. Planning on putting my carrot bucket up a height.

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                          i cant remember if any of them got it or not to be honest - i think i fed the whole lot to the horses so i didnt really check any of them!
                          Carrot fly damage is usually pretty obvious so you'd probably have noticed. Are you only growing them for your horses, in which case it's probably not so crucial as if you wanted them for the table

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Don't think horses worry to much about carrot root fly.

Ian

Comment

only gave them to the horses cos i forgot about them! the carrots that is, not the horses! and they were a bit skanky - but dont know if age or CRF...

have a new plan now, planted 2 x squash plants, some peas and some beans yesterday - so we can see how that lot gets on.

nips and rots going in another bed now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X