Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late to plant potatoes??

Hi All,

I am a newbie to veg growing and i'm sorry if this has been posted before but I've trawled through the forum and other websites and can't seem to find a definate answer!

I have just finished two raised beds and one will be for root veg and the other for lettuce cabbage spring onions etc. with peas and beans planted at the bottom of the garden. I gather from reading other information that you would usually plant seeded potatoes in eary spring but is it too late now?

Can't wait to get started,will be planting seeds tomorrow and will wait and see!! Thanks all

Hello and welcome to the vine.

Whether it is too late to plant spuds kind of depends where you are. Blight is a problem in many areas and causes many people to plant early spuds only
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I'll be reluctant to sow main crop potatoes now as they'd take a bit long but you could risk a few earlies which would be ready in 60 to 110 days from sowing (if you avoid blight )

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Many Thanks for the replies. I've read a bit about blight. I live in south west Wales so although we've already had some warm days its generally a few degees cooler and also wetter than the rest of the UK.

I've read a bit about blight. I take it its the warm weather that brings it on?

Also what variety of potato could I plant?

Cheers

Comment

OOOOOHHHHH, where are you?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

You might be pushed for finding a decent choice of seed spuds now. I have a few left which I am keeping to sow later and keep in the greenhouse for a christmas crop. If you are close enough I could share with you so you can have a try at them.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirley,

I'm not as far west as you as I notice your from Pembs. I'm from Llanelli and work in Carmarthen. I take it i can't just plant a sprouted charlotte potato straight from the supermarket!! I told you i was new at this!!!

Tubs

Comment

You can give supermarket spuds a go. Most people recommend growing them in buckets rather than in the ground just in case of disease.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Thanks for that. I suppose I'd never now unless I give it a go!!

Comment

If you want to meet and collect a few seed spud tubers let me know, I need to plan a trip to Carmarthen soon anyhoo.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X