Spit on gooseberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spit on gooseberries

I have just noticed little blobs of spit in the gooseberry bush. Can you tell me what it is doing it?

I noticed similar on some radish - and parnsips - by stem joints off the main stem. I removed it, wasn't sure if it was eggs/nest or some sort.

Comment

Froghoppers. It's know commonly as cuckoo spit (because it arrives at the same time of year I assume.) I know no reason to remove it.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Unsightly but not really a problem.

Hidden beneath the cocoon of 'spit' is a little young Froghopper - sucking away at the sap. Even if they are seen in large numbers, they rarely do enough damage to get worried about. Because of their protective cuckoo spit coating, they are difficult to treat with insecticides, and not really worth the bother. You can wash them with a spray of water if you like.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Beat me to it Flummery I have lots on my plants and was showing the wife cukoo spit at the weekend, she was looking at me as if to say what the hell are you on about. Thanks for your knowledge I now know it's not actually from cukoos
          http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your imput. If they are not going to do real damage I will let them be.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X