Am I likely to get ripe chillies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I likely to get ripe chillies

I just potted the chillies to 5 inch pots and they're only about 3-4 inches tall. I sowed some in March (so not too late). They are hot patio sizzle, cayenne, purple tiger, birds eye and a miniscule prairie fire (that's got 4 leaves, no hope for that one).

Am I likely to get enough chillies if I leave them in their 5 inch pots instead of moving it to a larger one?

Many thanks everyone

They flower sooner in smaller pots anyway.

Of course it depends on so many things, mainly are they in a greenhouse?

Comment

They can be left in the greenhouse if that's the only hope

Comment

Whilst some of the chillies on my GH plants ripen to red some don't
        Eventually it gets late in the season and too cold for the plants to grow any more.
        I usually pull the plant up and hang upside down in a shed complete with green chillies attached.
        Eventually they will go red.
        Jimmy
        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I think my patio sizzle from seed last year is still only in about a 6" pot. It's quite compact but produces a crazy amount of chilies! It had two batches last year (they are only small so grow quick) and it's got unrips ones at the moment.

Comment

Mine have yet to germinate, so you've more hope than me.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              They flower sooner in smaller pots anyway.

Of course it depends on so many things, mainly are they in a greenhouse?
              Thats interesting, Zaz, I repotted my Bolivian Rainbows/cayenne/pairie fire cos they were too big and they immediately burst into flower....

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                Mine have yet to germinate, so you've more hope than me.
                If I get any that ripen, I'll send you half

Anyone else please? I've got flower buds on the peppers so fingers crossed will be ok but I adore chillies and I need my fix

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                  Thats interesting, Zaz, I repotted my Bolivian Rainbows/cayenne/pairie fire cos they were too big and they immediately burst into flower....
                  Possibly already pot bound??? My ones in small pots always flower earlier than the ones in big pots.

Comment

Why do you want to leave them in small pots? Lack of space?

It's certainly not too late for them to grow bigger and fruit - we've 3 months I'd say before you need to worry, and even into September and October they can be fruiting if in a greenhouse or indoors. I find chillis and peppers to be quite a bit more hardy than toms and cucs once they're well established.

The general rule of thumb for me with peppers and chillis is that they might flower and fruit sooner in a small pot, but you will get a much bigger yield if you gradually pot them up as they grow. I usually aim to have them in a 5 litre pot. Mine have only just gone up to 5 inch pots in the last week or so, but they're putting on a growth spurt now and will hopefully be in the 5l pot by July.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      Why do you want to leave them in small pots? Lack of space?

It's certainly not too late for them to grow bigger and fruit - we've 3 months I'd say before you need to worry, and even into September and October they can be fruiting if in a greenhouse or indoors. I find chillis and peppers to be quite a bit more hardy than toms and cucs once they're well established.

The general rule of thumb for me with peppers and chillis is that they might flower and fruit sooner in a small pot, but you will get a much bigger yield if you gradually pot them up as they grow. I usually aim to have them in a 5 litre pot. Mine have only just gone up to 5 inch pots in the last week or so, but they're putting on a growth spurt now and will hopefully be in the 5l pot by July.
                      Now you're confusing me. I've just got to grips with a 5"pot being 5" in diameter. What's the diameter of a 5 litre pot? Please.
                      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Mine are still quite small but they are starting to get flowers, so I shouldn't worry too much
                        AKA Angie

Comment

thank you sarzwix, I was just panicking as we got some coldish weather today (and everyone else seems to have set fruit and growing). I can pot them up into 5" pots and leave them be.

thanks selfraising.

Panic over, sorry folks

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                            Am I likely to get enough chillies if I leave them in their 5 inch pots instead of moving it to a larger one?
                            Hmmm, "enough chillies", is there such a thing?
                            There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Ermmmm... Sorry, I haven't got one to hand to measure Rocketron

If it's any help, 5 inch pots usually contain 1 litre, occasionally 1.5litre if they're deep ones. Those black, Sankey 'Tomato Pots' that you can get in packs of 3 from garden centres are 5 litre. And the black 'flower buckets' are usually 10 litre size. Does that help?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X