Carrots to follow spuds in growbags?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots to follow spuds in growbags?

I have four of the spud type growbags with first earlies in them. Can I plant these with Autumn Kind carrots when the spuds have finished or do I have to dump the compost and start afresh? If I can, should I be adding anything fertiliser wise or topping up with fresh compost?

Thanks in advance
    AKA Angie

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
    I have four of the spud type growbags with first earlies in them. Can I plant these with Autumn Kind carrots when the spuds have finished or do I have to dump the compost and start afresh? If I can, should I be adding anything fertiliser wise or topping up with fresh compost?

Thanks in advance

I will be interested in the answer selfraising, as I would like to do this too!!

Elaine xx

Comment

I want to know too! Can any of you experts out there advise if there is anything we can plant into our potato planters, once we've harvested the spuds?

Thanks
      Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

give it a try, nothing to lose except a few carrot seeds

Comment

Carrots dont need much in the way of fertiliserdo they?
          I'll giveit a go when the spuds comeout of the bags, it always seems like such a waste to me to fill a bag with compost, then chuck it on the beds.

Comment

I've grown a few carrots in a tub which housed last year's broad beans. Don't think I gave it any extra fertiliser and they're doing really well.

Gonna try the spud bag method too I think.

Comment

I always get at least 2 crops from my tattie containers. Carrots, beetroot, peas, salad crops, chard...there's so much you can put in but you need to choose crops with a relatively short growing season. If you've just used MPC in the bags you will need to feed many second crops but a handfull of BFB or chicken manure mixed in will work fine.

Comment

Thanks all. If I remember rightly it was a mix of mpc and manure, think I will give it a go with the carrots as I am really short of space in the garden and as with you Taff, I hate to think of it being wasted.
                AKA Angie

Comment

*Don't add any extra nutrient...the carrots will fork!!!!*

....just check the compost for snail eggs- and any other bugs!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

That sounds like a good idea!

Comment

Thanks Nicos, good thinking but what do snail eggs look like???
                      AKA Angie

Comment

*Don't add any extra nutrient...the carrots will fork!!!!*

Recent experimental work has shown that the biggest cause of carrot roots forking is when they hit stones. Fresh manure is probably not a good idea but a sprinkle of BFB will do no harm. It works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                          Thanks Nicos, good thinking but what do snail eggs look like???

here ya go!

happy hunting!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Last year I put some cut and come again salad leaves in two ex potato bags (worked fine) and some winter radish in others (not so good, I had probably overcroweded them). If I remember right I originally intended to put carrots in but having discovered and loved the big radishes I went for those instead.
                            Today's mistake is tomorrow's compost...

Comment

Cool thanks for the ideas, I was just going to sling my compost in a corner, or add some to the compost bin

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X