picking rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picking rhubarb

Hi All, I've been very good and never picked one stalk from my rhubarb crowns last year as it was their first year. Now that it's in its second year and has grown well was just wondering is it ok to pick all the stalks from a crown at one go or should you take only half or a third of them or whatever. Thanks.

You should always leave some behind, even if it's a mature plant. As it's only their second year, I'd harvest it very sparingly to ensure you get a good crop for future years.

I'd be wary of picking more than a quarter of the stalks myself.

Comment

Thx Maypril for that info. And telling me to pick only a quarter is precise and helpful. I presume you can harvest lots of times throughout the season once new leaves have grown to replace the ones taken. Also whilst some of the stalks are an inch or so wide also there are spindly ones. Is it a good idea to leave the spindly ones which are not much use for the kitchen to die back naturally and thus you are allowing some nutrients to get back to the crown? Sorry to be such a novice.

Comment

Originally posted by cheops View Post
        I presume you can harvest lots of times throughout the season once new leaves have grown to replace the ones taken.
        Yes, you can pick throughout the season, just try and ensure it's had time to grow back to the previous size before picking it again.

Originally posted by cheops View Post
        Also whilst some of the stalks are an inch or so wide also there are spindly ones.
        I believe the spindly ones should grow fatter with time. I tend to pick the fattest ones first.

Comment

Actually Maypril, in my case the fatter ones are fat [for want of a better word] from the beginning as they emerge from the ground. And if the spindly ones are left they grow soft and rot and die back. I suspect this can't be a bad thing for the crown. Anyway thx again - have had my questions answered. Great site this - you can post a question after 2 am and still get an answer. And lots of others who just read the question and answers gain info too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X