An experiment with ducks and courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An experiment with ducks and courgettes

I have been running a trial to grow courgettes fed and watered with the gunk from my duckpond. I have a pump in the sump where the heavier matter sinks into. About once a week I start pump and store the stuff in a big tank. The ducks eat loads of slugs, snails and worms, consequently the waste water stinks a bit fishy and has an oily sheen on top. I didnt know if it would kill my plants , but today I ate the first courgettes and they were fantastic. I also feed it to brocoli, cauli, peas, beans, etc. Havent dared to use it on my sungolds though. Anyone else doing this scheme?
    Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
    Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

This is basically aquaponics. A very efficient way of producing food. The pond water supplies nutrients for the plants and the plants purify the pond water.

The water is usually pumped round and returns back to the pond.

For meat and plant production, you can raise worms on scraps and leftovers, use them to feed fish and use the pond water to fertlise the plants.

Comment

I do this with potatoes and I'd go further if I had a longer hose but the rest of the beds are just out of reach. Works a treat!
      The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Originally posted by BFG View Post
        This is basically aquaponics. A very efficient way of producing food. The pond water supplies nutrients for the plants and the plants purify the pond water.

The water is usually pumped round and returns back to the pond.

For meat and plant production, you can raise worms on scraps and leftovers, use them to feed fish and use the pond water to fertlise the plants.
        Yes ,but surely only certain food crops will stand the constant high nitrate level wont they?
        Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
        Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X