Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale and Leaf Beet advice please

Hi All

I'm trying to grow Kale and Leaf Beet, but not really sure what I should be doing next. I've got seedlings - both a few in a pot and also some singular ones in modules (thought we'd try both methods). They are about 2inches tall now, but not really doing anything exciting - ie. developing much. What should I be doing with them now? I've got square foot beds and pots ready for them. Should I plant them out, or wait until they develop more leaves? they're pretty spindley little things too, so should I try and plant them a bit deeper than they are just now?

I pot my kale on and when they're about 5" tall and nicely filling 3" pots then I plant them out. Lose too many to slugs otherwise and usually there's something else in the way before that anyway. Mine are about 2" tall at the moment so a way to go yet.

With leaf beet I find it's better not disturbed as it seems to do better that way so either direct sow or do what I did this year and sow in modules then plant out a single plant froom each module direct into the soil. Did this at the weekend and they were a few inches tall.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Where have you got your seedlings ? You say they are very spindly, which suggests they are not getting enough light - are they outside or indoors ?

Comment

Hi both and thanks for your advice Alison. Tam - I've got some on a very sunny windowsill on the dining table - it gets the sun from about 10am - 7pm, and I've got some others in an unheated greenhouse. both lots are looking about the same I would say.

Comment

Both my kale and leaf beet are outside now, some still in modules but at least out to the elements.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'd love to be able to put mine outside Alison, but we had frost again this morning, so am not risking anything out at the moment....wish spring would sprung for any length of time up here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X