Tomatoes Advice Please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes Advice Please

I have two greenhouses, one heated, one not heated. I wish to grow tomatoes in both. The tomatoes that will be going into the cold greenhouse do they need to be started off in the heated greenhouse then hardened off or can I grow them straight in the cold greenhouse. Advice would be gratefully received.

Only our 2nd yr with a greenhouse so not much use I fear..although...The seeds would certainly germinate quicker in the heated gh but if you were to then transfer them to the unheated one, then the frost may get them. My thoughts are that I would keep them seperate- this would also mean that you would have a longer cropping period which is also a benefit. If you were to germinate some for the cold one, you could always bring them indoors or leave them in the warmer gh until the weather warmed up (one day eh?) depends on what you want!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We start all our tomato seeds off in a heated greenhouse. Then harden them off ready for planting out doors. I would think you will need to do the same before planting them in an unheated greenhouse. What varieties are you growing?
      [

Comment

I would do as LJ suggests and start them off in the warm house & harden them off. It wouldn't to too bad though as they will get some protection from the cold house and we shouldn't get too many cold nights by the time they are big enough to move ... I hope
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

You can grow toms from seed no problem in an unheated greenhouse - just have to wait til a bit later in the season to start them off .
          Rat
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

i have just started mine off now in a heated pollytunnel i will put them in the ground in the pollytunnel at the end of april - start of may without heat. i live in the northeast i had an amazing crop last year moneymakers shirleys and alacanties.. i am growing plum toms this year aswell

Comment

I am just about to sow mine for this year.

I start mine of in root trainers placed on a heat source until germination, they are then moved to my greenhouse that is heated to about 16 degrees at the moment. I will pot them on once they have a true set of leaves burying the stems to encourage more roots.

I grow some in the main greenhouse, others in a plastic walkin house and others outside.The plants that are going in the plastic house or outside are hardened off in April/May and then planted in thier final spot, again planting them deep usually over a fork full of manure to give them a boost.

Varieties for this year are Ferline, Gardeners Delight, Marmande, Roma, Tumbler, San Marzona and Santa.

HTH

Jerry
              Holidays in Devon

http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/

My Allotment Blog

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm going to start mine off in toilet cardboard rolls this year, I grow them in an upright coldframe/small greenhouse. I then open the doors when they are large enough and harden off before planting outdoors, but if undercover I start them off in late March/early April in unheated and early March in heated and I do not move them. I am growing that many varieties this year, roughly 10 varieties to discover a good one for outdoor growing in my environment and a good cropper/taster.
                Best wishes
                Andrewo
                Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

What varieties are you growing Andrewo?
                  [

Comment

Last year I grew Moneymaker toms outdoors in my own garden starting them off in the kitchen at the end of March & then putting them outdoors at the end of May in a plastic grobag greenhouse & some for my mum-in-law which I put out in her unheated greenhouse at the same time. I didn't harden them off properly, just put them out for a few days beforehand in a plastic greenhouse with the flap open.
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Tomato Trial

Lesley,
                      I will be planting the following varieties (even though they say Tigerella is an indoor variety, mine did better outdoors last year):

MY 2006 TOMATO TRIAL
                      Federle
                      Basinga
                      Idli
                      Russian Black
                      Green Grape
                      Gardeners Delight
                      Harbinger
                      St Pierre
                      Tigerella
                      Golden Sunrise
                      Ailsa Craig

Will keep everyone in the loop on this, looking for a good variety, like to grow new things every year, so this is right up my street - whether or not they will survive up my street is another thing!
                      Best wishes
                      Andrewo

Comment

We must have a tomato trial taste results thread where everyone can report back on how tasty their variety of tomatoes were.
                        [

Comment

I think this would be a good idea, a taste section and we can set up the threads, therefore even if a few of us are growing celeriac we can compare notes (even if same variety, it may be our feed that produces the best results) or beans or peas or potatoes or tomatoes..
                          Best wishes
                          Andrewo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X