Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria Plums

Hi,

We've got a smallish Victoria Plum tree at the end of our garden that the previous owners of our house planted. It's doing well but last year we hardly got any fruit off it. Not because there wasn't much fruit on it but because it was going mouldy on the tree. In hindsight I'd say it was actually because of the glut of fruit on it. Should I be thinning the fruit out on it? at what stage should I start to do this and is this normal practice for a Victoria Plum?

Sorry for all the questions but I love plums and would like to get to eat some this year

Yes you do need to thin the fruits. Thin the fruits at two stages in the year. First in late mid-May when the fruits are beginning to form, the again in July when the plums are about half their full size. First, remove any damaged or diseased fruit. Then, aim to thin the fruit so that there is enough room for the plums to develop without touching each other - about 7cm (3in) between each plum.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Just one thing. Capsid is (as usual) 120% right except, because everything is so far behind the fruits may not form until early June. I don't think mine will. But if that is what happens just adjust accordingly. You never know. Heat wave on way?
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Thinning is essential as not only will it help to prevent rotting, etc. but less fruit puts less stress on the branches. Some years they can be so heavy with fruit that even large branches can break under the weight. One of those things I learned from bitter experience.

Comment

Thank you! The fruits on my tree are getting on for 1cm in length now. Would that sound about the right time/size for thinning them out?

Comment

I would wait until after the tree naturally drops the fruitlets in the next few weeks, otherwise you may end up removing many of those that the tree wasn't going to drop and leaving those that the tree was going to drop.

Fruits that are crowded by other fruits or by excessive leaves will be most affected by pests and diseases/rots. The North-facing side of the tree, (where warmth and sunlight are reduced) will tend to have the most problems with damp/pests/rots etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X