Pumpkin Competition!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin Competition!

Apparently, at an improptu Extra Ordinary General Meeting of my fellow allotmenteers I volunteered to join the Giant Pumpkin competition!

The meeting was held in Jimmy's shed ( cos it has a pot bellied stove and tilly lamp) and there was a full chorum, but I wasn't there.!

Anyway at £2 each and probably eventually 20 entries, it would be a nice forty quid in my back pocket.

Thats where you ever so knowledgeable pumpkin growing grapes come in!

What are the secrets to giant pumpkin growing and how can I win this competition without resorting to bribery or cheating?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

use type such as Atlantic Giant, limit fruits per plant gradually reducing to just 1, and needs consistantly warm night time temperatures so get your duvet out! Thats all Snadger
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Hello Snadger, no expert here, but the first thing you need is the right seed - for giant pumpkins. All american varieties - well everything's big over there !
      Then I think grow them on top of your compost heap - they're very greedy. After that, I think it's cheat and bribe, and you could sacrifice a few chickens , consult the oracles, take astrological readings or just sort it out among yourselves in Jimmy's shed. Good luck Snadger. The grapes will be rooting for you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Apparently, at an improptu Extra Ordinary General Meeting of my fellow allotmenteers I volunteered to join the Giant Pumpkin competition!

The meeting was held in Jimmy's shed ( cos it has a pot bellied stove and tilly lamp) and there was a full chorum, but I wasn't there.!

:
        Sadly to say that Jimmy's shed cannot compare with the Arthur's shed in my allotment..he had three barrels of homemade beer going on all the times, when it was opening time Arthur would call us with his trumpet to join him. Nevertheless to say the shed was called THE SLUG AND LETTUCE. Sadly Arthur moved on and we miss him a lot
        Don Vincenzo

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
          use type such as Atlantic Giant, limit fruits per plant gradually reducing to just 1, and needs consistantly warm night time temperatures so get your duvet out! Thats all Snadger
          Are you saying I have to sleep with my pumpkin Geordie??
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

A nice size hole about 1mtr square and 2 spit depth fill with manure, cover with soil leaving a mound to grow your atlantic giant seedling on.

Then feed once a week with beer and urine.

Comment

Place an upturned pop bottle next to the roots when planting out. Fill this with the water and feed so the mix goes to the roots. If you stick a bamboo cane in the bottle too it will help you find the bottle when the foliage gets over grown.
              I agree with Geordie - cover the fruit over at night time.

Comment

Great characters like that don't come along everyday Don. I'm sure you miss him. Thanks for sharing Arthur with us

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by muckman View Post

Yuk! Prefer to drink the beer!

Comment

Technical point then muckman, can the beer be passed through the kidneys first?
                    Last edited by supersprout; 13-02-2007, 01:11 AM.
                    SSx
                    not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Sounds like an old leek growers concoction......after a night on the Brown Ale pee in a two gallon watering can and add a small bottle of Guinness, fill up with water and water leeks! (Has to be Guinness and has to be after midnight)
                      Active ingredients are iron plus other trace elements and ammonia (nitro) from the pee!

Sounds like a waste of good ale to me and the after midnight bit was so that the neighbours didn't see you and think you were a lunatic!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well It works for me

Comment

Well It works for me
                          If something works muckman, far be it from me to cast aspursions!

Go for it

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well supersprout i dont supose it makes any diffrence if you drink beer wine or lemonade, i drink all three, but i still use tesco home brand bitter to feed the pumpkins, Aswell as my urine. First thing in the morning peee is best.

Comment

Beer, beer, we want more beer, everybodies cheering, Snadger get the beer in!!!!
                              I just love her, but cant stand squealers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X