Sweet Corn F1 Swift Seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Corn F1 Swift Seeds

This was going to my main crop this year. Out of a tray of 18 pots only a mere 2 have germinated. I have just put another 8 pots into my B&Q heated propagator. Anybody got any tips?
    aka Neil

I had a whole pack that did the same as yours, last year. I think they were Swift. All the Conqueror came up no problem.
    Try a different variety? If they don't come up either, the fault is probably with you not the seed.
    If they do, then it's probably a duff pack of Swift: write to the company that sold them.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Cheers TS, off to GC to buy other varieties
      aka Neil

Comment

I've had a similar problem with Swift as well. Out of 25 have had 12 germinate. thought it was just me as my track record with sweetcorn isnt great and I always end up just buying the plants. Will start a few more (I needed 16 plants) and see how I get on!
        If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

I've ahd the same this year with my swift....porr germination and even when they've grown 2" they've died off!! Time to get some different seeds!
          Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
          Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
          Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

Have had exactly the same issue, but with Sparrow (one of the Swift, Lark etc family of tender sweets). 2 out of 15 germinated and they grew about 2" and died off/rotted off and they were inside in a regular temp room - then tried the same outside and out of 15 about 12 germinated and then promptly died (I pulled the rest out and binned them). Resowing with Conqueror and forgetting the Sparrow idea (only bought them as I'd never heard of them!).

Comment

Conqueror it is then!!!
              Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
              Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
              Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

I had a terrible time with Swift last year too. First batch, hardly any germinated. Second batch, 12 out of 16 came up, but they all died within 2 days

I've done Lark this year, all of them have come up and they've survived for nearly a week so far... (I'm touching wood...)

Comment

Last year I had 2 cobs off the last remaining Swift but as they tasted so good I decided to give Sweetcorn another go this year.

I'll try and find some Conqueror seeds then!
                  aka Neil

Comment

Add me to the list of people with Swift seeds that didn't germinate. I used the kitchen towel method and only 7 out of 40 germinated.

Comment

I know some grapes think it un-necessary but chitting does as least give you an idea if the seed is viable.I didn't chit my sweetcorn the first time and they were very hit and miss although I did end up with about 9 plants which at the mo seem very healthy. As I only had about 12 seeds left I decided to chit them using a small plastic tub and damp kitchen paper. 10 chitted very strongly and by the time I got them into a pot the chits on some were 1/2" or more long.
                      I didn't chit before this year and tried it because some grapes swear by it.
                      I shall definitely be doing it for all the expensive seeds next year (melons, squash, cucumbers) and hopefully save myself a lot of frustration.

Comment

Yep, I had the same problem this year, only 4 out of 20 germinated so re-sowed and they have now germinated. I think I may have sown mine too deep tho
                        Last edited by selfraising; 11-05-2010, 03:29 PM.
                        AKA Angie

Comment

Last year my Swift were pathetic - really poor germination rate. This year I bought fresh seed, chitted on kitchen towel in a sealed plastic container (as recommended by other Grapes), and have had 100% germination. I'm also growing Ovation germinated by the same method and they have done well too.

Comment

Have had almost 100% success with 5 different varieties of sweetcorn including Swift. Mine are all hardening off in my greenhouse.
                            Sow indoors in heat, at 20 C, on top of the compost to prevent the seed rotting, in individual cells in late April. I only push the seed into the damp compost until it is level with the surface. Light aids germination, but most failures are probably due to rotting.

Comment

I too use the kitchen paper method and have had success this year (so far anyway) with f1 Prelude Supersweet. Never tried Swift so can't comment, but if anyone is looking for a recommendation the Prelude are from Suttons.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X