Blueberries in pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberries in pots

Finally, after months and months of waiting, my 3 blueberry collection has turned up. They're in 1.5l pots (some are flowering already? - the earliblu if I'm not mistaken?)

Anyways,I've some large pots (prob 50cm in diameter?) that would look great with them in, but is this too much of a jump? do they like to go up slowly in small sizes like potting on veg?

Is just the usual Eracious (or whatever it is) compost ok, or should it be mixed with sand and some other moisture retaining stuff? I'd like them to be grown organically from now on if that makes any diff.

Thanks!

I'm in the same position having splashed out at Wilcos the other week. I already had one potted in ericacious in a big pot on the lottie - I think I over potted it to be honest but it has just about forgiven me now. My new one will be potted on gradually - again in ericaceous. I also water with rainwater.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I have about 6 in 35cm pots, It's the cost of standard ericaceous compost. You need alot to fill a 50cm pot. You do not need to add anything as it has sand and feed included. Weight may also be an issue with a 50cm pot, if you want to move the plants later.

I like to put a layer of bark chippings on the top of my compost as this is good for retaining moisture. If you can find a few pine trees locally, then pine neadles is also good.

Try and use rain water most of the time and the odd feed of special ericaeous feed. Remember that some feeds are alkaline based and can kill the plant.

Not many pests to worry about, so you do not need to treat the plants with chemicals.

A net is also very useful, as blackbirds love they berries and can strip a plant in two days.

Good luck, you will not regret growing blueberries.

Comment

Thanks for the tips both Yep defiantely looking forward to harvesting a crop.

Do I need to remove any flowering buds in the first year?

Comment

No do not remove any flowers.

The 3 plants you have should be an early, mid and late so you get the benifit of bees polinating all three plants and an extended harvest from July to September.
          The white bell shaped flow will drop off, but you will still get fruit.

Comment

Are they frost hardy? I read the growing techniques guide which was really useful, but if the flowers are in bloom will I need to cover them in there's a frost?

Also, I've not got my water butt setup yet, if I can't harvest enough rainwater, is tap water ok to water with? Are there addatives/tablets I can use to make it more suitable to use?

Thanks

Comment

Yes they are frost hardy, but best not give them too many shocks all at once (being posted, new pots etc) They may have come from somewhere inside and not be used to the temps outside.
              I put acidic soil, mixed with rhododendrum food and water retaining chrystal in with mine. Then I mutched with pine and fir tree bits. They seem really happy and are covered in flowers
              Oh and only water with rain water.
              I expect you know all that anyway

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X