Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builders Lime

Hi,
    I have acid soil and also have clubroot, I want to grow brassicas but cant get to the garden centre for gardeners lime. Does anyone know if i can use Hydrated Lime that i can get from my builers merchant?
    Thanks

Welcome aggie. I have no idea but I'd take a guess that lime is lime so er maybe... You can also (apparently) use ground up eggshells in the planting hole instead of lime. I've also read (on this wonderful forum ) that if you start your brassicas in modules first and let them develop a good root system, then they stand a better chance against club root. Good luck.

Comment

hi there,
      Unfortunately I can't offer any advice regarding the lime, however to stop the club root you can put a small piece of rhubarb stem in the bottom of the planting hole.
      Last edited by flighty1; 04-05-2010, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Aggie hi there, I found this link on the web today. It explains the difference between various lime products which should answer your question re hydrated lime.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cabarrus/sta...imefaq.html#L7

Comment

see here

What is hydrated lime?
          When water is added to burnt lime, the lime forms hydroxides. Gardeners calls this hydrated because we don't know if hydroxidated is a real word. This material is bulkier than agriculture lime. It can be used when plants are not present but can burn plant roots. It is more caustic than burnt lime. Most gardeners will use agricultural lime instead.

yes. Im going to use this stuff, as the garden centres only have the stuff in farting little bags.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X