No announcement yet.

Rhubarb Wine and Demi-Jon mithingy.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb Wine and Demi-Jon mithingy.....

Hello

Wanting to attempt Rhubarb wine but need to know if i need a glass demi-jon mithingy and swirly air pipe thing or are there alternatives??

Thanks

you could get away with a 5 ltr water bottle from any supermkt and just plug the top with cotton wool or a piece of muslin held on with a rubber band.

Comment

A half-way-house is to use a 5l water bottle with an airlock on the top. You could drill a hole in the bottle's lid and stick an airlock in the top or get a lid or bung to fit it from your local brew shop. I would get an airlock though... I put cotton wool in the top of mine to stop things getting down into it.

Last year I got 5 demijohns from someone on my local Realcycle group. Try your local group (Freecycle would be worth checking too) and ask around your friends and family - it's not unusual for someone to have a load of brewing kit they don't use any more that they'd give away or swap for a bottle of your first batch.

I've got one full of elderberry wine and another of sloe. I'll be having a go at elderflower (wine or champagne - maybe both) and maybe dandelion over the next few weeks. Fingers crossed at least some of it will be drinkable!

Comment

Also jumble sales. I got a load for 50p each, but he let me have them for 30p as it was getting close to the end and I was willing to take them all.

Those plastic bottles are fine for brewing, but I wouldn't use them for the aging process. They are even sold in brew shops.

Swirly air pipe? If you mean siphon, then no there is no alternative. Siphons are used to prevent as much as possible oxidation of the wine which can ruin it. Pouring allows too much air in. They are also used to get the finished brew off the deposits, or lees as they are called, to help with the clearing of the wine.

Comment

I've been using the 5 litre water bottles for a year now, they are really good. I've gradually acquired 3 glass DJs too, but prefer the plastic.
          The wines are in the plastic for about 6 months until cleared, then are bottled into glass wine bottles for maturing
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 04-05-2010, 07:20 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You should experiment TS. Wine matures better in bulk, according to the books, Make two gallons exactly the same and mature one in a DJ and the other as you do now then see which tastes better. A fun experiment I have never bottled after clearing so would be interested in the results.

I forgot try car boots as well. I have gotten the 5 gallon buckets from the one near me for £1-£2 each, a fruit press which I have seen second hand for £40 I got it for £5 new it was £90 and a corking "machine" for 50p. There was other stuff but I already owned it. Be warned car boots are a dangerous place, I went for cartridges for my printer and I came away with the above and a filing cabinet for £5. Oh and I did get the cartridges as well. The fruit press is not needed I was brewing for 10 years before I got one in fact I thought I would never get one it was only because of the lucky find I have it.

When buying second hand djs look at the necks if you see a type of thread for a cap it is not a true demijohn and so the neck can be too narrow for the corks. You will read, if you take it further, about dark djs for red wines, this is for the maturing process, if you can't find any don't worry. I find that wrapping them in thick plastic, a bag for life for example, or keeping them in a dark cupboard is just as good if you only have clear.

Don't be put off if your first attempt fails, mine did I and I would think a few more can say the same thing, but that was before I read up more on the subject. Once you start to read up and get some knowledge in it is quite an addictive hobby and not just for the end product.

If you do want to get into brewing I would suggest a visit to your local home brew shop. These places are a gold mine, and the people are very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions or to tell them you are new to the hobby.

The largest piece of equipment you will need is patience

BigShot champagne is not something you have a go at it takes a bit more work than a normal wine. It is one I haven't been brave enough to try yet. I have a book called making wines like those you buy, if you want I can PM you the instructions for making a champagne type wine. Your biggest problem will be getting the actual bottles. I have tried elderflower a few times but have written it off as every time it has smelt like cat pee to me. Others have had great success with it. I always use apples as my base for whites now.

Comment

Great advice thanks guys.

I have just purchased a starter kit from a homebrew company for £14. It includes a fermenting bucket and a demijon (plastic) with syphon and airlock thing. Ill have a go and no doubt ill be crying for help soon!!!

Comment

Those starter kits are a great way to find out whether the whole process is 'your thing'. Even if the end product is dissapointing, you may find that you enjoyed the process and the challenge, in which case you just try again (and kits rarely fail completely if you follow the instructions properly; mostly the worst is wine that is not as good as you hoped, which is merely a spur to find a better approach).
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I agree with Hilary: it's a great confidence boost to make something that you can actually drink.
                  Don't ever expect homemade wines to be like the stuff you buy: it's a different animal, and should be appreciated for what it is (esp. the parsnip ones)
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh dear. I didnt get any wine bits with it just the bucket and jar to make my own. Im going to attempt to make my own rhubarb wine with my crop. Im not too worried about the taste because i only tend to buy cheap plonk from the supermarket anyway.

Comment

It appears to me that we are verging on the 'hints of a spring morning here". Oh yes, we need to make it palatable but may I remind you all why we make wine. It is not good for you/it makes you fat/it makes you forget what it really tastes like and it makes you forget...............

Comment

Speak for yourself Bren!
                        I make wine because I enjoy the challenge of getting a good result, and I drink it (usually with food) because I like the taste (of some sorts). If my only interest was in 'forgetting' there are easier ways.
                        We have quite sufficient access to cheap BOUGHT wine, the point to homemade is the satisfaction of achievement!
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Ladies!, please!,(and interested others), this is not about getting wrecked!, although that might occur, the plastic fermenters are light and easy to handle, the 5 ltr water bottles are a lot cheaper!, (hole-14ml[free-hubby!], grommet 50p, airlock 2 for a pound) and I think stronger/more rigid!, my current favourite, 1ltr white grape juice, 1ltr apple & elderflower juice drink + 1lb 5oz sugar+1tsp yeast nutrient (homebrew shop/home hardware)+water to 4.5ltr, keep warm(20C)[near the Rayburn/cooker/Aga/radiator/airing cupboard, ready in about 3 weeks better after 3months.
                          PS, agree with Hillary, the achievement of something drinkable from the garden and for free is so much better than drinking cheap plonk from the shops.
                          Last edited by ohbeary; 13-05-2010, 10:30 PM.
                          Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Originally posted by paula.berriman View Post
                            Wanting to attempt Rhubarb wine but need to know if i need a glass demi-jon mithingy and swirly air pipe thing or are there alternatives??
                            You don't need to, but it is highly recommended.

Pop into Wilkinsons and you can have a demijohn, an airlock and bung and some tube for syphoning all for under a fiver!

Comment

Originally posted by paula.berriman View Post
                              Im going to attempt to make my own rhubarb wine with my crop.
                              I'm doing a step by step rhubarb wine on my blog at the mo for one of my allotment neighbours which you might find useful (click on the link in my sig).

I finished a bottle of last year's rhubarb wine last night - delicious.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X