Runner Beans are running away...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner Beans are running away...

Help, I planted some White Lady Runner beans on about 10th April and these are now about 12" high , they seem to be romping away. I'm in the process of hardening them off for planting out but not sure when it's going to be safe to do this. Any advice?
    Bex

Well, to be honest my advice would be not to have sown them until at least the end of the month - but it's too late for that. Try one of the frost forecast sites to see when they suggest your last one will be.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

they came up quick,i've had them longer than that in the past,and they did just fine,give it a couple of weeks,then plant out,remember to gently wind the plant around the cane clockwise ,you may even have to tie a bit of string to encourage it to it stay,but keep an eye out not to let it get strangled,it will appear to not do much,untill it's re-stablished the roots,
      tip only,if you have any grass mowings,put a 2in layer around the plants,it helps contain moisture,all the best,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Is the clockwise thing really important or can they be wound anyway, just curious. The council (bless em) tipped a load of grass cutting just at the edge of my plot when they mowed the grass, I wondered what I was going to do with it.
        Bex

Comment

I think it's anticlockwise actually-there was a discussion last year and I went to the garden to check on my runners-yes,all of them were anticlockwise.Must say I tried to "wind them up"another way,but they didn't want to go

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ans_34243.html

Comment

I sowed mine around then too Bex. I planted mine out over a week ago, with plastic bottle cloches over them, and I fleece them at night too. We've had a couple of good frosts since then, but they've been fine. Luckily they're in raised beds in a very sheltered part of the garden. Now, they're growing through the tops of the bottle cloches, so I've got some small polytunnels coming this week, in an effort to protect them further. I'm still pondering on what to train them up too.

Why do we never think these things through? LOL. I'll learn one day, I guess!
            Last edited by Glutton4...; 27-04-2010, 10:37 AM.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks Guys, another quick question, how many plants per cane, one or two?
              Bex

Comment

2 or even 3-there's enough space for them

Comment

I planted my runner beans on the 9th April and mine have done the same! Going totally crazy! I have a bit of a Jack and the Beanstalk situation in my kitchen!

I have started hardening mine off today as I need to room their large pot is taking up on the windowsil.

This is my 1st year for runner beans so I'm no expert, I'm just going to go for it and see what happens. If the weather stays ok, and my OH ever finishes the trellis work, I will hopefully plant them out next week.

Comment

Trellis! That's a grand idea - there's several bit around here with nowt else to do at the moment - I may as well grow me beans up 'em!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                      Trellis! That's a grand idea - there's several bit around here with nowt else to do at the moment - I may as well grow me beans up 'em!
                      That's what I thought! The OH is a landscaper and keeps bringing random bits of wood home to build stuff. I told him that if he wanted to be useful to get some trellis so we can grow up this random woodern summer house as he calls it and the next day, there it was! I also have sweet peas waiting in the wings for when/if he puts it up!

Comment

Yup. Trellis a good idea as long as you have access to the back. My beans are in a raised bed behind the patio and for the past ten years I use those spirally things which are left in situ till next time.

Attached Files

Comment

I got given some large plants in mid April last year, fully hardened off. Wasn't going to grow runners and had nowhere sheltered to put them so just assembled a wigwam and shoved them in. They did really well, didn't even slow down in growth. I know that each year is different but I'd be inclined to shove them in their final position and plant some contingency ones inside in case we get a late and heavy frost.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Mine are about 12" hardenening off this week, planting up the lottie this weekend.
                            You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

Would it be Ok to plant them in tubs?. Haven't got much room in the garden so thought tubs/containers may do the trick. Planted mine inside 17th April and are now taking over the kitchen windowsill too - about 8 -10 inches high. Scared to put them outside as don't want them to die.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X