Where can I get a rhubarb crown?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get a rhubarb crown?

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can buy a rhubarb crown? I'd really like to grow some rhubarb in my old chimney pot but can't get a crown in my local garden centre.

You may find one in diy store in the gardening section - our local Focus was selling them earlier in the year but it may be getting a bit late in the season and you may have to wait until next year.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Have you tried at your local B&Q, they sometimes sell them there. Have you got a friend that has some rhubarb? If you have why not ask them if they can spare a crown for you that's how I got mine. You'll have to wait a couple of years before you can take a few stalks off but if it's free it doesn't mater. Or have a look on line!

Rhubarb Victoria - Single Rhubarb Crown- £1.99 Free Delivery Available
      Last edited by ginger ninger; 25-04-2010, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks, will try and shop around. My cousin has some on her allotment but she's worried she'll damage the plant if she separates it. We're nervous learners at the moment!

Comment

Do you have one of these near you?.......They usually have them.

WilkinsonPlus Store Locator
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Not too far away, thanks. I'll try there.

Comment

My local garden centres have *LOADS* still

I've one still in its pot, gonna have to plant it soon argh !

Comment

I would think you will need more growing medium than you can fit in a chimney pot if you are after any sort of crop. Rhubarb is a greedy feeder and will eventually make substantial crowns. They will do much better if you can give them a space in the ground (or failing that, the biggest bucket you can cadge/afford!)
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I hadn't thought of that, perhaps I'll find a spare patch of soil and grow a leek in the chimney!!

Comment

I grow half a dozen salsify in a chimney pot each year. Just enough for 4 portions.
                    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                    >
                    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Sounds like a plan, now I just have to source some salsify???

Comment

Originally posted by vixfinn View Post
                        Sounds like a plan, now I just have to source some salsify???
                        No problem. Just PM me your address and I will send you a few seeds (enough for 6 roots) post haste. If you can call 2nd class mail post haste. Just about right timing to plant too.
                        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                        >
                        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          Do you have one of these near you?.......They usually have them.

WilkinsonPlus Store Locator
                          They had them in my Wilko's when I popped in today potted up.
                          Cheers

Danny

Comment

Will definitely get to Wilko's for my crown then and find a suitable spot for the greedy rhubarb. Plus I think Sarraceniac may be able to help me with the salsify for the chimney..Sorted!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X