No announcement yet.

Can I or Can't I Sow French beans now?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I or Can't I Sow French beans now?!

Hello all

I have recieved conflicting advice, googled and had more conflicting advice. The Vine members advice has always been sound, so hoping you wont mind me picking your brains
    Can I sow French beans now indoors ready to plant out end of May? Or should I wait until doing runners too?
    Are there some French beans that need sowing earlier or can I wack the lot out at once?

Thanks for you help

well, I've got these and Planted them a cple of weeks ago in pods in the conservatory

Authentic Italian Foods - Fagiolo Nano Rocquencourt

Comment

I'd say yes, on the basis that I'm dong ours this weekend.

You're further South than me and I would usually say mid to late May is fine for planting out even here. I've had successful outdoor sowings from May. I'm sure there are some varieties that are more delicate, mind.

You can always try a later sowing if you like.
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I'll be sowing mine within the next week or so too. Hardening off will commence a couple of days after they pop through, so that I get slow sturdy growth, planted out by the last week in May. Hopefully. That's the plan anyway

Comment

We planted our 'haricots verts' outside straight into the ground only this week, we did the same last year and had no problems.
          Mr TK's blog:
          http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
          2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Thanks all

Comment

My pintos went in the ground last weekend, and were fleeced.

However, the tops of some were frosted.

so, if you can keep them somewhere for a couple of weeks, then I'm sure down there they will be fine.

Comment

I'm going to sow my French beans on Sunday and the runners went in a week or so ago as they're a bit hardier and will go out slightly earlier.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ooops, I sowed my French Beans about 2 weeks ago and my runner beans (those lovely Hestia ones you sent me - thanks again!) I sowed yesterday!! Keeping my fingers crossed that they grow ok.... The French beans are doing well so far, fingers crossed!

Comment

Thanks again
                    I am going to be growing some:
                    Cherokee trail of tears, blue lake and dwarf purple teepee...
                    Sound ok?!

Comment

Can I also so my runners now then? I thought I had better wait until mid-may just to be sure of the frosts...??

Comment

Plant your runners now we will be out of frost danger by the time they are up and hardened off IMO !
                        You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                          Thanks again
                          I am going to be growing some:
                          Cherokee trail of tears, blue lake and dwarf purple teepee...
                          Sound ok?!
                          My cherokee went in a couple of weeks ago, and they're up and looking strong so I'd definitely say yes.
                          pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Plenty of folks have direct sown there runners around here, I'm a bit more cautious and have sown mine in pots.

Ian

Comment

The first of my dwarf french beans directly sown in the beds have come up today, they are heavily covered in a frost, but I'm absolutely delighted they have germinated, I knew it was chancy.

I don't intend planting my climbing ones out yet, but that may change by tomorrow
                              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X