Potatoes - make me feel better

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes - make me feel better

Whilst at a local garden centre at the weekend I spotted that they were selling spuds in buckets. The 'buckets' were large pots and they had a load of foliage growing out of the top of them. The pots seemed unfeasibly small for the amount of foliage growing out of the top, but it go me thinking.

Ok, granted, I planted my spuds late in the day (the Bank Holiday weekend) - but having watered them yesterday I am confident in saying that I haven't any foliage showing at all yet - which is of course a good thing with the risk of frost having not yet left us.

These buckets however were a mass of the stuff.

Go on, tell me you haven't any foliage too.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

I haven't got any yet!
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

not even planted mine yet

Comment

Out of 20 bags, I have 1 which is almost full of compost. The rest are not showing yet, strange...........
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Mine are in buckets planted March 11 and have two tiny leaves just breaking the surface, nothing from those planted April 5th.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've got some just about to flower. I planted on the 7th Feb and kept them in the kitchen while it was cold out.
            http://www.keithsallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

No foliage yet here either!

Comment

Planted Easter Sunday, nothing showing yet. Hope you're feeling better.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I've only just had time to plant mine over the last week or so. Even my first earlies only just went in

Won't be long before the GC's are selling those tomato plants laden with fruit for £10 like they did last year before we'd even had the last frost... So much for seasonality!

Comment

I have some in buckets which I think I planted on St Patricks day or thereabouts, they have showed through the first few inches of compost - long way to go yet. The rest are still waiting to be planted.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

None showing here yet..... the cats still using the bed as a toilet
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

My bucket ones, kept in the greenhouse (maybe that's what the Garden Centre does) are full of foliage now and have been earthed up to the top. I usualy harvest these in May.
                        However, those placed in the earth at a sensible time are still to show. Don't worry chuck. Plenty of time yet!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          My bucket ones, kept in the greenhouse (maybe that's what the Garden Centre does) are full of foliage now and have been earthed up to the top. I usualy harvest these in May.
                          However, those placed in the earth at a sensible time are still to show. Don't worry chuck. Plenty of time yet!
                          Ditto Flummery. Just earthed up some of the other pot spuds today as a little foliage was beginning to show. The others which were started in the greenhouse now have foliage a foot tall in some cases and they are in a fleece covered cloche which originally had clear corrugated over that.
                          As the fleece cover is fairly loose I have taken the corrugated off today to try and give the spuds a little more growing room.
                          Hopefully, in a couple of weeks time, I shall be able to take the top fleece cover off and let them get on with it.
                          Like Flum, I hope to have spuds sometime in May.

Comment

Nothing here yet, planted 10 days ago or so

Comment

we have 6 potatoe planter bags and they were planted on the the weekend before easter and easter weekend and they are all showing and topped them up today. still long way to go but looking good. we cover them ever night just incase there is a frost!

cant wait to have new potatoes, first year of doing them.
                              New to this gardening lark... fingers slowly turning green!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X