Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing soil for Marrows and Pumpkins.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing soil for Marrows and Pumpkins.

Today I was just clearing up a little section in the ground that I have for my future marrows and pumpkins.

At the moment the composition of soil to compost is probably 20:80 and have been reading around soil preparation and wondered what else I should include in my soil? The compost is just multipurpose and was wondering if I should add some chicken pellets or B and Q famyard manure or what has worked for you guys? I also have a B and Q veg food concentrate liquid I will be using.

Also would you recommend keeping the marrows and pumpkins seperate?

The marrows are F1 Tiger Cross and the Pumpkins F1 Becky. Thanks
    Last edited by deltz; 16-04-2010, 03:42 PM.

I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames for this, but I'd go for mixing in as much well rotted muck as you can get your hands on. Remember these things will grow a fair bit. No idea as to the growing habits of the varieties you've chosen, but if they aren't bush, they will end up the neck end of 20 feet long.
    If you cut the marrows off early, they're courgettes and will produce loads of them. If left on, you will get a few big marrows.
    Same with the pumpkins. A few football size or just one you'll need a JCB to shift.
    http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Deltz,

I tend to dig pits for my Curcurbits - about now. A couple of spade widths wide and 1 or 2 deep. Then as Norm says - sling in a whole load of muck, mix it up with the soil, add a bit of fertilizer.....they're hungry plants. Let the pit fester for at least a few weeks, then bung in your plant. And I grow courgettes, marrows, squashes, pumpkins all in the same patch... aswell as a block of sweet corn.

J

Comment

I've used lots of rabbit manue about 2 spits down and then a mix of compost and rotted manure that bed will be used for my courgettes and summer squashes. I've got to do another bed the same for pumpkins and other squashes

Comment

I will be planting marrows on top of the compost heap, cant have too much muck for them. Add as much as poss as will help to stop them drying out.

I agree with Norm
          You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply guys, where would I be able to get my hands on this muck? Any good places online such as B and Q? They have the following will this be enough?
            B&Q Farmyard Manure 50ltrs, 0000003747209

Comment

You could also use a load of chopped up veg peelings( NOT potatoes or toms) and scrunched up newspaper underneath manure.

Comment

Oh that might be a idea, so at the bottom I put peelings, then the mixture of the soil, compost and manure? Also If I used chicken pellets how long will I need all the peelings and manure to rest? I have just sown my seeds a few days ago, will it be too late?

Comment

Dig in as much organic matter as you can get ya hand's on, well rotted horse poo, dig in a few chicken pellets, throw a bit of blood and bone meal in as well for good roots, a dusting and digging in of pot ash is good for the development of the marrow, if you can afford it treat ya self to some seaweed feed, but ONLY use this when your plants are growing at full pelt and starting to set fruit, put lot's of sharp grit, broken up egg shells around your plants to help keep the slugs/snails of them.
                  You can grow them all together if your not saving seed for the following season or your not fussy about them cross pollinating each other, there not fussy what they have flower sex with , there all tarts in that department. I hope this helps.

Beware when using chicken pellets, they smell

G.N.xx
                  Last edited by ginger ninger; 17-04-2010, 05:03 AM.

Comment

I would agree with the above. Pumpkins require a well drained soil. I dig plenty of organic material into the whole patch. Don't put fresh manure down now as it needs to be well composted. Then at each planting site I dig a pit and fill with a mixture of compost, manure and native soil. I then periodically broadcast chicken pellets and dig them in around the growing plant. Be aware that pumpkin roots are shallow when weeding/digging.
                    My 3D Pumpkin Carvings
                    https://www.facebook.com/totallypumpkins

2014 Giant Pumpkin Diary
                    http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...51148&action=L

Comment

Originally posted by deltz View Post
                      At the moment the composition of soil to compost is probably 20:80 and have been reading around soil preparation and wondered what else I should include in my soil?
                      As others have said, you're on the right track, at 80% compost that's great, plenty of organic matter.

I wouldn't add any extra fertiliser just yet as there will be enough in the compost to get them started. Just be prepared to feed them once a week once they start flowering.

Also would you recommend keeping the marrows and pumpkins seperate?
                      No, they'll be great together. Just keep in mind the spacing. If they['re too close together then you will get smaller pumpkins/marrows.

Comment

Originally posted by deltz View Post
                        Oh that might be a idea, so at the bottom I put peelings, then the mixture of the soil, compost and manure? Also If I used chicken pellets how long will I need all the peelings and manure to rest? I have just sown my seeds a few days ago, will it be too late?
                        Should be fine by the time the roots get down and cover with black plastic to heat it up a bit and speed up the process, use well rotted manure. Chicken pellets will speed things up too.

This is what I do for courgettes and cucumbers, my marrows go on the compost heap. I will also be burying the top half of a plastic bottle upside down next to each plant so when I feed / water it goes straight to the roots.

Look at all the advice given and do what you think is best for you.
                        Last edited by Liza; 17-04-2010, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leah View Post
                          I've used lots of rabbit manue about 2 spits down and then a mix of compost and rotted manure that bed will be used for my courgettes and summer squashes. I've got to do another bed the same for pumpkins and other squashes

I have couple of rabbits and thinking of using the rabbit manure for such purposes.. For squash, courgette, I will dig in the hole and put the rabbit manure mixed with grass hay and some wood shaving and cover with compost.. The mixture will also help to retain the moisture in the soil...
                          http://bageechah.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X