asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asparagus

Hi I have two rows of ginlim[or something like that] asparagus about twenty plants, all four years from planting. One plant is growing fine I've cut two or three spears already but there is no sign of growth on any of the others, will they come later or have they died? How are other growers plants doing? Do I need to plant more?

I'm still hopeful, Penny - I have a double row of mixed plants - some of them were pretty weedy going into the winter and I don't know what is going to happen - I'd leave them a while longer - mulch the bed with something quite rich, keep it watered and see how it goes. I have put a couple of spares in a pot to fill any gaps with - mind you the little devils do take their time showing themselves.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I grow Gijnlym (amongst others) it is quite early but I have only just picked my first couple of bunches off maybe 4 of 20 mature crowns. i have a couple of Grolym and Backlym (maybe 3 of 40) showing a few spears but I am 3 weeks behind last year.no sign of Connover's or the younger beds of Dutch

There were a few spears up a couple of weeks ago but they just stopped growing...suddenly a couple of nice days and they are off

Be Patient they'll come soon.

Comment

Thankyou I am reassured now and will wait impatiently, I do love asparagus!

Comment

I always get anxious, waiting to see if the asparagus has survived the winter, but then get so excited when the first spears poke through. There always seems to be one plant that romps away earlier than the others - but it's not always the same plant! First spears are through this week, phew
          Life is too short for drama & petty things!
          So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Easter in France (Dordogne) for us is always a feast of asparagus. Soup, salads, side vegetable- with every meal. This year- nada. The fields are still covered in mulch plastic with the occasional farmer walking his rows, poking hopeful holes in them. So I'd hang in there for a while in northern Europe! On a related note I nearly pulled up my 'early' PSB in despair before we went away, but had a good meal of it yesterday with plenty of new shoots following on.
            http://www.wormslovewaste.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X