rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

One of my rhubarbs is producing a large flower head. It is still wrapped in leaves and about 6" high. I havn't pulled any stems yet so why is it bolting?

...because they can be difficult mardy beggars. Cut off the flower stalks
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As TS says, definately remove any flower spikes and compost.
      Really great gardens seem to teeter on the edge of anarchy yet have a balance and poise that seem inevitable. Monty Don in Gardening Mad

Comment

Mine randomly flowered last year for the first time. Seemed a shame to cut it off but it is the best thing to do. Yours is obviously way ahead of mine as mine is only just producing proper leaves.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
          One of my rhubarbs is producing a large flower head. It is still wrapped in leaves and about 6" high. I havn't pulled any stems yet so why is it bolting?
          It's cos you are in Dorset Brengirl!

Chop off flower head and talk to it sternly to remind it that it came from Yorkshite!

Comment

Originally posted by Maddie106 View Post

Chop off flower head and talk to it sternly to remind it that it came from Yorkshite!
            Thanks Maddie I found that very informative

Comment

Originally posted by Maddie106 View Post

Typo or is that how you feel about the place
              http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

While I'm no expert on rhubarb ('cos it's not a fruit ), many plants will flower as a result of being stressed.
                Stress can be as a result of poor rooting, poor soil, dry soil, poor climate, overcrowding and so on.
                A well-fed and well-looked-after plant is likely to produce masses of leaves but few flowers. In fruit trees, a good dose of nitrogen is sure to encourage green growth and reduce flowering.
                When people say "it's flowering heavily, so it must be happy", it's often quite the opposite. Spectacular flower displays on fruit trees/bushes etc are often a "last gasp" attempt by the plant to reproduce before it dies from the harsh conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by greengas View Post
                  Typo or is that how you feel about the place
                  Not that I'm from Yorkshire, but that's how I feel about my area!

I've only got 12 inches of sandy-loam topsoil, with sand/gravel beneath that, down to at least 6ft.
                  I don't get much rain and what I do get, drains rapidly, so the soil doesn't hold moisture or nutrients.
                  It's generally warm, sunny and breezy, which dries the topsoil in just a few hours.

It's a very difficult environment. Very few things will grow without intensive care. Those that do grow are extremely stunted - the plants that manage to survive only grow to about half of their "official" size.
                  For a laugh and to prove a point, I'm planning to grow a Bramley's Seedling on M25 rootstock, as a cordon. Normally, you'd expect Bramley/M25 to grow into one of the largest apple trees.

Even weeds are not a problem here; most die of dehydration or powdery mildew. Even my grape suffers drought stress - and grapes are known for their deep tap-roots.
                  Last edited by FB.; 10-04-2010, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Word of warning!!!!

A few years ago, one of my rhubarb started 'flowering' and I thought I'd chop it off the next day when I returned to the lottie ( I noticed it when were were all packed up and setting off for home)
                    Of course- it poured it down the next day- and we forgot about the 'flower'
                    When we went back the next weekend , there was no flower- it was looking as it normally did. We were really confused- cos it was clear that no-one else had chopped anything off ( as a favour) - so it was clearly some of the leaves unfurling but held together rather like the flower.
                    Since then I've waited for the flower stem to elongate, just to make sure!

..and yes- flowering is a sign of stress ( not surprising is it??)
                    I always understood that if a plant flowered it would die ( bit like a bamboo???)
                    although I couldn't confirm this!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think some varieties are more prone to flowering than others. Champagne comes to mind but don't panic if you have that one - I could have misremembered!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

This may sound like a stupid comment, but I honestly never thought about rhubarb flowering! What do they look like?

And would I kill my rhubarb plant if I divided it now? We've had good size rhubarb stalks for 2 weeks now with no forcing involved!

Jen
                        Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

It's a long thing like the top of a dock. Really big but really boring - mealy sort of thing.
                          I wouldn't divide now but in the autumn.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Is there any way I can tell what 'make' of rhubarb I have?
                            One is sometimes ready as early as new years eve the other is much later.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Mine randomly flowered last year for the first time. Seemed a shame to cut it off but it is the best thing to do.
                              Don't they look purdy!?
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X