Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to grow carrots advice needed

Hello again
    I am going to attempt to grow carrots for the first time, any hints would be helpful.
    What is a good carrot to grow and when to sow it?
    How close can i set the seed?
    I have an old water butt which i am going to cut in half ( dont panic it has a big crack in the bottom so is redundant ). How deep do I need the soil. How far from the top should I fill it, I think I have read leave 18" to the top. I do have some fleece to cover it with.

Thanks in advance

I too am growing them in containers. I just scatter the seed, cover them with seived compost & thin out as they grow leaving growing room around each carrot. If you are lucky you could try replanting the seedlings that you remove in another container but not sure of the success rate on that.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      I too am growing them in containers. I just scatter the seed, cover them with seived compost & thin out as they grow leaving growing room around each carrot. If you are lucky you could try replanting the seedlings that you remove in another container but not sure of the success rate on that.
      Hi BM
      how deep is the soil in your containers, and have you left a gap to the lip on the container

Comment

Originally posted by mrscorpio View Post
        Hi BM
        how deep is the soil in your containers, and have you left a gap to the lip on the container
        The container is about a foot deep & the soil stops around 1" from the top. At the moment it has a cloche on & will be staying on for a little while longer.
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 31-03-2010, 08:41 AM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

These are my Early Nantes.
          http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LQ48oi3xb0...rch+10+055.jpg
          I have 4 buckets on the go at the moment. Trevor carrots in the others.
          Last edited by Flobalob; 31-03-2010, 09:09 AM.
          Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

Originally posted by Flobalob View Post
            These are my Early Nantes.
            march+10+055.jpg (image)
            I have 4 buckets on the go at the moment. Trevor carrots in the others.
            Flobalob, I love your name!

When did you plant those early nantes?

Comment

They were sown on 3rd of Feb. The photo was taken 3 weeks ago. They have grown to just above the bucket now.
              Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

How close can i set the seed?
                As wide apart as a carrot would be. If you think a carrot is about an inch wide at its diameter, then the seed has to be sown an inch apart. You don't have to thin out, then.

How deep do I need the soil.
                A bit deeper than the length of the fully grown carrot
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  As wide apart as a carrot would be. ............
                  A bit deeper than the length of the fully grown carrot
                  that's a 'How long is a piece of string' answer to your question
                  For me it depends on the type of carrot (long, med, ball) and wether you want to eat them full grown or when they are baby veg.

Comment

If you dont have a deep enough bed, how about a short carrot like paramix etc?

Comment

I have sown carrots on 2/2/10 still no show in an unheated greenhouse do you think the seeds were old or faulty

Comment

Originally posted by Suky View Post
                        that's a 'How long is a piece of string' answer to your question
                        No, it's a "think of how big a carrot is" type of answer
                        Obviously if you're growing a short-rooter like Parmex, you can get away with a shallower container than if you're growing a long un like Autumn King

Originally posted by sauzee View Post
                        I have sown carrots on 2/2/10 still no show in an unheated greenhouse do you think the seeds were old or faulty
                        No, it's probably too cold. Carrots like a soil temp of 10C before they will germinate.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X