Saving french beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving french beans?

Thinking ahead, I'm planning on saving some french beans later this season.

I've not sown any yet but was wondering if
    a) do they cross pollinate?
    b) how many plants do I need to set aside?

Is this ok to leave the plant growing until the pods are filled then leave them until dry?

Thanks

Planning on growing blue lake, blauhilde, dwarf purple teepee, yardlong (climbing I think)
    Last edited by Bramble_killer; 24-03-2010, 05:05 PM.

They're a doddle to save as they don't cross so you can grow pretty close to other types. I don't grow separate plants but just leave some on to mature and let the seeds dry before podding the dry husks and leaving on the side for a bit to make sure they're fully dried and then storing. I only grow a handfull of each type and save quite well so you'll have no problems.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Runners-they will cross,although I'm wondering if dwarf one will cross with climbing one.
      French beans-no.
      Why some of beans will cross and some of them not?
      Last edited by coreopsis; 24-03-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

All runners will cross which is a real shame but as you say, Frenchies are no problem. Basically they're related but not the same species so designed rather differently.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

French beans can and do cross, but not so readily as runners.

I got a lovely variation on Tiger Eye (white with black stripes) in 2008: it was black with a few white stripes on it.
          I resowed them, but they reverted to normal Tiger Eye

I also got some larger versions of Ruth Bible (a pale brown bean). I've called them Big Ruth and will resow this year.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have heard that they do not really cross easily and i will be saving the seeds of my frenchies this year

Comment

The flowers are enclosed so insects can't easily get in. So, generally speaking, I try to grow alternate french bean wigwams and pea wigwams and I haven't had any of them crossing.

I did, however, find a strange bean growing from a HSL soldier bean. This must have crossed in the seed guardian's garden. I'm growing this on for the third year this year. It's separated out into some interesting types. I'd say though, that as a rule, you don't need to worry.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                The flowers are enclosed so insects can't easily get in. So, generally speaking, I try to grow alternate french bean wigwams and pea wigwams and I haven't had any of them crossing.

I did, however, find a strange bean growing from a HSL soldier bean. This must have crossed in the seed guardian's garden. I'm growing this on for the third year this year. It's separated out into some interesting types. I'd say though, that as a rule, you don't need to worry.
                Thanks Flum, I swear you are the bean and pea oracle

Kx

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post

Perfect! Now I can plan part 2 of the bean/pea patch

Too bad I've planted out most of the early peas close to each other...maybe I can space some french beans into the spaces where the slugs will clear some away for me.

Comment

Actually a question I need to ask as well.... I've only got one runner so I'm not too fussed but got a lot of vulgaris-species varieties plus a couple of Lima beans so they'll need growing on different plots, I'm guessing the pea-beans are their own species too..... but there's a lot of heritage climbing and drawf beans in my seedbo and I'd like to save from most if not all of them as they're generally shelling beans....

chrisc

Comment

sorry... what's the question?
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-03-2010, 07:10 PM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by chriscross1966 View Post
                        Actually a question I need to ask as well.... I've only got one runner so I'm not too fussed but got a lot of vulgaris-species varieties plus a couple of Lima beans so they'll need growing on different plots, I'm guessing the pea-beans are their own species too..... but there's a lot of heritage climbing and drawf beans in my seedbo and I'd like to save from most if not all of them as they're generally shelling beans....

chrisc
                        Your heritage stuff should be fine - it's not often you'll get a cross. Space them out with other things if you're bothered.

Broad and runner cross (not with each other - with their own type!) but you have to decide whether you think they are worth growing elsewhere. Commercially they grow half a mile apart for runners and broadies.

Whoops - pea bean is a climbing french too as far as I know. I always treat it as such and it always comes true.
                        Last edited by Flummery; 26-03-2010, 10:35 AM.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X