Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries and vine weevil

Morning all

Is there anything I can grow with my strawberries that might deter vine weevil?

Cheers
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

In a word...NO, the only thing I can suggest is nematodes which you water in when the weather warm's up, are you growing in pot's ?? If you are do what I do and hand pick the grubs out and squash them...its so therapeutic .

Comment

I use a very week solution of Jayes Fluid, using a small indoor watering can with a long spout to get at the soil and not plant.

Comment

Am definitely going to try the nemtodes this year, just wondered if there was anything extra I could do - they are growing in pots as I dont have space in the ground so I know they are extra vulnerable to the evil weevil!
        If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

Watch out for the nibbled notches in the leaves - signs of the adults at work - and watch out for the beetles too and squish them. Often the only way you identify the grubs is when a treasured plant seems to be growing well and suddenly keels over on you. You can get compost with treatment in it these days.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            Watch out for the nibbled notches in the leaves - signs of the adults at work - and watch out for the beetles too and squish them. Often the only way you identify the grubs is when a treasured plant seems to be growing well and suddenly keels over on you. You can get compost with treatment in it these days.
            The compost with treatment in it is toxic to pretty much everything, including bees and worms, not just weevils.

Comment

Originally posted by BFG View Post
              The compost with treatment in it is toxic to pretty much everything, including bees and worms, not just weevils.
              Yup, and its passed on up though the plant to the fruit/veg so ends up in us and that's not good.

Comment

Can you not put something under the pots to raise them up from the ground?

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                  Can you not put something under the pots to raise them up from the ground?
                  I usually find the vine weevil beetles climbing up the wall!! Little devils.
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X