carrots and manure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrots and manure

I understand you're not supposed to put manure down before planting carrots, but does that mean compost also? I didn't have my plot last Fall, so was unable to manure then. The bed has been dug over (before I inherited it), but I don't think anything was added to it. Should I just leave it as it is or add compost to improve the soil's structure?
    Hill of Beans updated April 18th

I grew my carrots in pots last year filled with compost so it wasnt too hard and they grew great, not sure if that is any help ! good luck

Comment

Compost is fine, but it may help if you also add some sharp sand. Some of us make a fairly deep hole with the dibber, fill that with sand and sow the seed on top of that then cover with a sprinkling of fine compost.
      History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Originally posted by gan heather View Post
        I understand you're not supposed to put manure down before planting carrots, but does that mean compost also?
        Do you mean rotted garden compost, or multi-purpose?

Originally posted by beaufontboy View Post
        I grew my carrots in pots last year filled with compost
        Multi-purpose compost is OK, if it doesn't have too much feed in it. However, my MPC carrots didn't grow as big as the ones in the ground (my soil is sandy and loose, perfect for carrots) Carrots don't need any nutrient or feed at all.
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-03-2010, 08:14 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for all of the help. I want to do a bed employing the technique of square foot gardening - but just planting different varieties of carrots and alliums. If I mix multi-purpose compost and sand for the carrots, would the same be ok for the alliums? Or should I try to keep the sand contained to the carrot sections?

Comment

You don't need to add sand unless you're on clay. MPC on its own will be fine
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grew carrots in tubes filled with multi porpoise compost. The tubes were bundled together in an old wheel barrow.

Only problem I had was keeping them well watered.
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                multi porpoise compost.
                Is that the one imported from New Jersey?

Comment

However, I've grown onions in sand throughout the winter and they were great!!!

So - sounds like you could do pretty much anything - just don't add well rotted manure if you are growing carrots.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                    Is that the one imported from New Jersey?
                    It showah is dude. Dolphin friendly too.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Thanks for the help. I think I'll be using mostly multi-purpose with some sand mixed in for good measure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X