Globe Artichokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globe Artichokes

I've done a quick search of the forum but can't find what I'm after.

I have some globe artichoke seeds and need some advice on a few points.

1. Will I get any artichokes in the first year?

2. How do I protect them in winter?

3. How many years do they produce for?

Thanks
    A good way to deter predators is to taste awful.

Hi LinnetLegs - I'm no expert but as far as I know
    1) Possibly not - I'm growing mine from a sideshoot which is 2ft tall already and I'm not expecting anything this year
    2) If they are growing well, they won't need protection - mine have come through the worst winter in years
    3) They keep going for ages but get absolutely huge so you may want to propagate from sideshoots and chuck the big one away.
    I hope this helps - and also an expert comes along to correct me!
    In the meantime here is a piccie of the flower head (sorry couldn't resist)
    Attached Files
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks for that - I was just thinking our recent cold winters would kill them. Also, I am prepared to wait a year for them if need be

Comment

Originally posted by LinnetLegs View Post
        Thanks for that - I was just thinking our recent cold winters would kill them. Also, I am prepared to wait a year for them if need be
        Hi LL,
        According to Monty Don you are best removing any flower heads that form in the first year of cultivation as it lets the plant put it's energy into establishing a good root system.
        A bit of protection from the worst of frost is a good ides, though. My yearling arties came through the winter of 2008 just fine (unprotected - and in POTS!), but the snows we had recently has done considerable damage to at least one of my established plants. I shut the door after the horse had bolted and mulched over with a thick pile of compost and am hopong that all is not lost below the ground.
        When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

I got several small artichokes last year from my plants which I sowed last february .
          I have read that they don't like to be too wet over winter, and are meant to be protected with a thick layer of mulch. I was a bit late doing this, and they suffered one period of hard frosts and snow before I was able to get down to the lottie to protect them. One plant (out of three) looked pretty miserable , and I haven't been back since the nicer weather appeared to see if any of them have survived .
          Apparently they are best being replaced every three or four years with offshoots from the older plants. Don't yet know from experience if this is really necessary .

Comment

thanks again.

I will let you know how I get on. (Probably be back for more advice)

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
              According to Monty Don you are best removing any flower heads that form in the first year of cultivation as it lets the plant put it's energy into establishing a good root system.
              Surely that's what you do to harvest them anyway?

Comment

Maypril...
                I think it means to remove the flower right from the start instead of letting it mature for harvest. Without the flower there the plant has nothing to do but grow.

Comment

In Brittany, they seem to take cuttings at the end of the Summer for the following year's harvest. constantly replacing the plants. growing compact young plants.

They do last through the winter as long as the ground isn't soggy. That said I lost a lot of young plants last year. The old ones all came through.

You are supposed to let them establish (no harvest) first year; then harvest for three and then replace them. (always taking your offsets from the best plants in the third Spring)...exactly like strawberries really.

For most folk it is fine to chuck a few in a corner and let them get on with it like rhubarb. I have a few I planted 8 years ago...seem to keep producing very well.

Comment

Thanks. I have got half a dozen seeds planted now - 5 have germinated and look healthy. I will nurture them until it is time to plant out.

Wish me luck

Comment

thanks for starting the thread, my globe artichokes have germinated and i was wondering what next to do about them

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                        thanks for starting the thread, my globe artichokes have germinated and i was wondering what next to do about them
                        I hope someone can tell us - I am not sure. Just going to put them in a bigger pot and wait till it is warmer out side.

Comment

Originally posted by LinnetLegs View Post
                          I hope someone can tell us - I am not sure. Just going to put them in a bigger pot and wait till it is warmer out side.

You got it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                            You got it!
                            Yay ----------

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X