Pruning Autumn Fruiting Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning Autumn Fruiting Raspberries

I've read that I need to cut back the old canes on my All Gold autumn fruiting raspberries now so that they can start producing new shoots in Spring.

I'm not sure if that is the best thing to do while we still have frosts or snow as my neighbour has said that if I prune back and there's a frost then it could kill them off.

Is this true? or shall I just do it and see what happens? They're against an East facing fence at the back of a narrow border that is reasonably well protected. Only planted them last year so don't want to lose them.

"... I went from adolescence to senility, trying to bypass maturity ..." - Tom Lehrer
    Earth Wind and Fire

I just bought some canes that have been pruned back to around a foot.

Over the past two days (despite being in the frosts - eek !) which have been quite bad here, they're all showing new growth...

Comment

Though, that doesn't really help you.. sorry !

Comment

I think they will be alright pruned back to the ground. If not then you may get new growth on the old stems which is not what you want ideally. The main danger may be from frosts so a good mulch would be worthwhile.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
          I think they will be alright pruned back to the ground. If not then you may get new growth on the old stems which is not what you want ideally. The main danger may be from frosts so a good mulch would be worthwhile.
          A mulch duvet, good idea! Thanks.

"... I went from adolescence to senility, trying to bypass maturity ..." - Tom Lehrer
          Earth Wind and Fire

Comment

So, as I can work it out, you prune autumn fruiting raspberries in early spring because the fruit grows on the new growith - am I right? If I am, then if I dont prune (I havent yet, am wayyyyy behind with everything) I wont get much of a crop? My plants are several years old, I inherited them with the plot. I have a huge pile of several year old horse manure which I presume is ok to mulch them with?

really sorry to 'hijack' this thread by the way, thought it was preferable to starting a new one on the same topic, shout at me if you wish!
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
              So, as I can work it out, you prune autumn fruiting raspberries in early spring because the fruit grows on the new growith - am I right? If I am, then if I dont prune (I havent yet, am wayyyyy behind with everything) I wont get much of a crop? My plants are several years old, I inherited them with the plot. I have a huge pile of several year old horse manure which I presume is ok to mulch them with?

really sorry to 'hijack' this thread by the way, thought it was preferable to starting a new one on the same topic, shout at me if you wish!
              I don't think it's too late for you to prune them (right down to the ground). Mine are showing no growth at all yet. Your crop will be reduced if you don't.

Mulching with the horse manure is recommended.
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thanks Capsid - that's cheered me up! I'll get down there in a bit with my secaturs and shovel in that case!!
                Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Just another raspberry cane type question if I may - I've cut mine down today, approx 12inch of cane - can you plant these to obtain new canes? They were only put in the autumn before last and did come from a certified supplier. I'm thinking buy one get one free which is always nice!
                  'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

Originally posted by mogs View Post
                    Just another raspberry cane type question if I may - I've cut mine down today, approx 12inch of cane - can you plant these to obtain new canes? They were only put in the autumn before last and did come from a certified supplier. I'm thinking buy one get one free which is always nice!
                    Dig up the canes with roots and split these for further plants.
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X