Which Rhubarb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Rhubarb?

I am planning on growing 2 different types of rhubarb (just one of each) and wondered if anyone has any recommendations?

After reading up a bit I thought Victoria and Timperley Early sounded good (I thought I had seen an offer in one of the seed catalogues for one of each of these varieties, but I think I must have dreamt it as I have trawled through my seed catalogue mountain and can't see it now!).

There don't seem to be many suppliers who sell a single crown at a time - Marshalls sell one each of Stockbridge Arrow and Victoria for £7.45 but I had read that Stockbridge Arrow isn't that great.

Any suggestions anyone?

hi there, I can only advise on the stockbridge arrow as it's the only variety I grow. In mho it's a great variety. crops well & it's also fit & healthy.

Comment

There used to be a field of Timperley Early just up the road from Marley Towers and it did what it said on the tin nice mild spring and they used to get the first crop late march early aprill.
      And as Rhuhbarb is a gross feeder you can not over feed it and it crops better....jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I like the Champagne variety - very tender and tasty. Have you tried looking for crowns at a DIY store, Curly-Kale - my local Focus is selling them at the moment.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Wilkos had them individually last time I was there, though I cant remember which variety it was - but about £2 a crown so not bad.

Comment

No idea what mine is but it was there when I got allotment. It grows huge and tasty. My previous allotment had a small and tasteless variety on it so this suits me fine.
            Just finished the jam I made from last years so roll on the new growth!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

yup-Timperley Early
              nice colour, sweet, and of course-early!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I grow Stockbridge Arrow - and only that. It's not particularly early but it had very long, thick red stems, delicious flavour and crops very heavily. I have found in the past that Champagne has had a tendency to go to seed fairly early in the season.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have one Champagne and two other 'no names'. This will 3rd season and I have not had a good yield as yet. However things are moving on the rhubard front. I know they are heavy feeders but as I cannot get manure and my compost bin doesn't produce compost what should I use?

Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Brengirl;615576]I have one Champagne and two other 'no names'. This will 3rd season and I have not had a good yield as yet. However things are moving on the rhubard front. I know they are heavy feeders but as I cannot get manure and my compost bin doesn't produce compost what should I use?

.What the farmer used to do in the field by me was give a good dressing of high nitrogen fertilizer in the spring thats all ....jacob
                    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                      Wilkos had them individually last time I was there, though I cant remember which variety it was - but about £2 a crown so not bad.
                      Victoria & Canadian Red........I bought one of each cos I'm geedy that way.....
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've stopped dithering and ordered the Stockbridge Arrow and Victoria from Marshalls - if I see any Timperley Early being sold singly I'll get one of those as well - if I get a glut I can always google rhubarb wine!

Thanks for your help - again!

Comment

rhubarb vodka - it's the future

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                            .What the farmer used to do in the field by me was give a good dressing of high nitrogen fertilizer in the spring
                            Nitrogen is for leaf growth: do we want leaf growth on rhubarb? I guess we do, because it's the stem that we eat. Growmore or BFB is usually recommended (balanced NPK).
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly-kale View Post
                              I've stopped dithering and ordered the Stockbridge Arrow and Victoria from Marshalls - if I see any Timperley Early being sold singly I'll get one of those as well - if I get a glut I can always google rhubarb wine!

Thanks for your help - again!
                              They'll do great. I can't recommend Stockbridge Arrow highly enough. I'd never heard of it before I bought it but I wouldn't grow anything else now.
                              Last edited by Flummery; 25-02-2010, 12:06 PM.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X