help with asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with asparagus

Hi there, I popped along to Aldi this morning & got myself 5 apple trees & a few bits and pieces. This included 12 asparagus crowns. I am now a little concerned that I purchased the asparagus at the wrong time of year ie to early. (there were loads of other people buying trees,plants etc so it was now or never) My question/s is/are.

1) When is the right time to plant these crowns out.

2) How do I keep the crowns alive if I am to early, which it looks like I am.

thanks in advance
    Sheila

I moved this from growing techniques so people could respond
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Hi Sheila. Some years you may get away with it now especially in sunny Surrey. But I think this year you should just keep them dry for another 4 weeks or so. They are actually easier than people think as long as you have prepared a well manured or composted bed then they are fairly hardy. If your bed isn't ready yet then act now with preparation.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Preparing the bed can be quite unusual I was advised to dig a trench, then make a sort of mound where you are going to put crown. You then sit the crown on the top of the mound and drape its 'legs' all around before you fill up with soil agin. I had great fun doing this last year, so now I will have to wait till the spring to see if it works
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

sarraceniec & stella, hi, thanks for your help.
          If I keep them for three or four weeks do I need to damp them occasionally. Also they have a few short spears ( about 2") should I leave these on or cut them off to allow new growth. Also how do I store them until I plant them out ie leave in the bag, cover in peat etc etc.

Fiona many thanks for moving this.
          Last edited by flighty1; 21-02-2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I bought some too..mine are still in the packet
            Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
            That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

don't cut off the top growth!!!!

I'd keep them damp if they've started growing.

it is a little early, esp in this weather.
              I'd be tempted to keep them cool light place with the roots wrapped in damp paper for a couple more weeks and then get them planted out
              The shoots will be caught by any frost so they'll need covering( eg straw and cloche)until the last of the frosts- which could be 12 weeks!!

yup- it is a bit early
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Many thanks nicos, I will wrap them up as you suggest first thing in the morning.
                Sheila

Comment

Keep them cool until planting. Preferably a shed or greenhouse. Oh, I just noticed Nicos' post above. Well it is 6 a.m. Do what Nicos says.
                  Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                  >
                  >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                    . Do what Nicos says.
                    You're not my OH are you?????
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

when you plant them,keep the young buds about 6in below final soil level,gives you better spears..good luck and keep eye out for frosts and protect..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X