Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb help needed

Hi EVERYONE

I've just noticed my rhubarb is coming through. I was given them in there dorment period and have never grown before. What should I do now?

Also lost my plot due to owner moving!!! Are they ok in containers?

Thanks
    Sophie
    Last edited by soph696; 16-02-2010, 06:45 PM.

Smile!!!...stand back and watch it grow!!!

How old is it? you don't really want to take any until at least 2 yrs old!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

there's some useful info on this website

BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - Growing rhubarb

there are so many things you can do with rhubarb .. hope you enjoy your crop
      Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
      - Aristotle

Comment

If it the first year of growth it is best not to pick any this year as it needs some time to get a bit bigger and stronger. Make sure it gets enough water later in the year (when it can get dry) and give it a good feed.
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

I was going to say smile too! (My theme for today!) Mine is poking its head up too. I will be giving it a top dress of some compost soon, it will enjoy that. And I'll be making sure that I pull off any flower spikes later in the season if they show up. Apart from that, nothing to add to the advice above.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi THanks everyone!!!

I have lost my plot due to the owner moving. Can I grow these rhubarb now in containers? also what do they like to eat.

Thanks AGAIN

Comment

I too was amazed to see the rosy red crowns emerging. Thank goodness something has survived.

Comment

As well as a good organic compost and manure, whilst it is establishing, rhubarb is very fond of tomato food.
                Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                >
                >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

It's really encouraging to see something struggling through. I was just going to say just watch it grow! I haven't ever fed my rhubarb and it's given a lovely show. Maybe this year as it's survived such a grueller of a winter!
                  Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

I've got loads of rhubarb plants but the best growing one of all is a root I dug up (it was in the wrong place) dumped at the side of the compost bin meaning to do something with it and then forgot about it. It's sitting proud of the earth and chucks up more stalks each year than the other roots properly planted in the ground. I think it will grow just about anywhere so it's worth trying it in a container, just don't bury it too deep.

Comment

how far down to do you recomend I plant it? thanks

Comment

Is rhubarb expected to be coming up already? Mine shows no sign of coming up yet, but then I am a lot further north than most of you It will be it's second year, so can't wait to see that it has survived the winter (though I'm sure it will be fine).

Steven
                        http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by soph696 View Post
                          how far down to do you recomend I plant it? thanks
                          Keep the crown above soil level. Crown rot is about the only way of killing off rhubarb!!!!
                          I dug up some a few years ago for someone and forgot all about it- I had chucked it in a bucket with the bit of soil I'd dug it up with...and it lasted like that for over a year before I finally planted it out again!!!

Having said that , I've managed to kill off 3 clumps i brought over ( think it was slugs and planted too deeply- or maybe too rich manure???), but the one I gave away has gown really well- so it wasn't the way I'd kept them!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by nerobot View Post
                            Is rhubarb expected to be coming up already? Mine shows no sign of coming up yet, but then I am a lot further north than most of you It will be it's second year, so can't wait to see that it has survived the winter (though I'm sure it will be fine).

Steven
                            Don't worry. Depends on the variety as well. 2 of mine are springing up but the other (late) crown is still asleep.
                            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                            >
                            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I spotted mine (3yr old this year) just peeking out, on Sunday. OH thought we'd lost it but thankfully it's survived.

Being a rhubarb novice can I ask:

1) Can you split them?
                              2) If yes, when is the best time?

Thanks
                              Reet
                              xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...