Treats/apples?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treats/apples?

I'm sure I read in another thread (but I can't find it) that one of our Grapes gives her girls apple as a treat. Is this right, or did I imagine it? If I can give it to them how do I do it? Just hang a whole apple up for them to peck? Or chop up into small pieces in with their morning mash?

What other things can I give my girls so they can play (as such). I have hung cabbage leaves up which they love, but is there anything else?
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

You can do either - they love apples, I chop them into quaters and chuck them in the run or I hang them up and let them "bob" for them.
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Mine adore the tomatoes that go too squashy on the plant when we have a glut. I also dig up turfs for them to graze and de-worm!

Comment

I often squash it with my boot so they can easily get at the middle. Then chuck the lot in and stand back - quickly!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks everyone...... Bernie goes off to give her girls an apple...............
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

If you are going to give this type of 'treat', I would take care problems can be caused rather like ourselves if we over do one particular thing, over acid foods can cause digestive problems, the turf idea is good they get a lot of pleasure from scratching, pecking and searching for that odd grub.
            If they have limited access to grass then a turf in their run is better for them than cabbage and fruit.

Comment

Whole cabbage hung up just slightly out of reach so they have to jump up to get a bite Keeps my lot occupied for hours! They get the extra exercise as well as all the goodness of the veg
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I've cut it into four and put it inside what should be a fat ball holder for wild birds. I've hung it inside the greenhouse - shame I havent got a full view, but the string was swinging from side to side when I looked. Someone is enjoying theirselves! I'll only give it as a treat as and when I've got a spare apple but think the girls are loving it.
                Bernie aka DDL

Comment

My chook run is sheltered with an apple tree and all through the autumn and winter they were lucky enough to have juicy apples dropping into their reach!
                  All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                  For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Originally posted by matthew2riches View Post
                    My chook run is sheltered with an apple tree and all through the autumn and winter they were lucky enough to have juicy apples dropping into their reach!
                    Mine got showered with damsons when it was windy!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      Mine got showered with damsons when it was windy!
                      They're going to get drunk

Comment

Originally posted by matthew2riches View Post
                        They're going to get drunk
                        With chickens - how can you tell?

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          With chickens - how can you tell?
                          Not sure

Comment

I've given my girls corn on the cob,(not buttered and peppered as my other laf asked!!) skewered them and then hang them up so that they have to do a bit of beak boxing! They didnt like cabbage hung up! (Fussy madams!) I would re-iterate one of the other comments that a little of these treats is fine...I notice mine get sloppy poos if I overdo it! Cucumber is another of their favourites...oh and mealworms, they do tricks for them!!!
                            xx

Comment

Originally posted by curvychick View Post
                              I've given my girls corn on the cob,(not buttered and peppered as my other laf asked!!) skewered them and then hang them up so that they have to do a bit of beak boxing! They didnt like cabbage hung up! (Fussy madams!) I would re-iterate one of the other comments that a little of these treats is fine...I notice mine get sloppy poos if I overdo it! Cucumber is another of their favourites...oh and mealworms, they do tricks for them!!!
                              xx
                              Thanks for that
                              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X