Chinese Cucumber

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Cucumber

Has anyone grown these successfully over here, my Mum has come back from visting my brother and is raving about them, I'll get him to bring some seeds back when he comes over in a couple of months, but wondered about the viability of them. Thanks
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

What's Chinese cucumber?
    http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Can you post a link - I think that one of our Grapes may have donated some of these to the seed parcel and I am currently divvying them up into the 4 parcels that I have at the moment.....so if they are the same thing then we as a 'gang' already have some.

Comment

If you mean a chinese variety of cucumber - just like a normal cucumber but a bit thinner and more spiney, then my MIL grew them last year in her greenhouse with great success - she bought the seeds in Hong Kong. I am growing them this year too as she has given me a load of seeds and my Marketmore were rubbish last year.
        Jane,
        keen but (slightly less) clueless
        http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
          If you mean a chinese variety of cucumber - just like a normal cucumber but a bit thinner and more spiney, then my MIL grew them last year in her greenhouse with great success - she bought the seeds in Hong Kong. I am growing them this year too as she has given me a load of seeds and my Marketmore were rubbish last year.
          Dont know she's just calling them chinese cucumber & says they were delicious, will interegrate her more at the weekend.

I found this on the web which sounds something like she described, but htey dont have any stock

This very rare heirloom comes from mainland China and our supplier tells us that it is his favourite Cucumber. The young fruit is green before turning a beautiful, yellow-orange. The 10-inch fruits are as crisp as an apple, very mild and delicious, great for slicing or for pickles. And he says that it is the largest yielding variety ever with just a few plants producing hundreds of Cucumbers

Andrea, if the're are any in any of the parcels could I swap something for some of them please?
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Ahh, my MIL's are definately green not yellow-orange, but if you would like some PM me your address & i'll send some off to you.
            Jane,
            keen but (slightly less) clueless
            http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

And the ones in the parcels are also green; not that I've grown them yet but they are green on the packet.

If you do find them, or what they are called - do share! They sound delicious!!!

Comment

There's 5 here HM
                chinese cucumber seeds, Home Garden items at low prices on eBay.co.uk
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've not grown Chinese cucumber, although they sound very interesting.

Not quite the same, but I grew Sikkim cucumbers last year which did really well in a polytunnel, if you you would like a few seeds to try send a pm. I found this link
                  Have you eaten Sikkim Cucumber ? | Proud to be a Sikkimese
                  Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I just received the seed parcel today and it contains the "Chinese Cucumber" Zazen mentions. Does anyone (Zazen, original donator?) know whether these are outdoor or greenhouse cucumbers?
                    Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X