Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I managed to get some Jerusalem Artichokes....Now just need the Perfect recipe!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I managed to get some Jerusalem Artichokes....Now just need the Perfect recipe!!!

Managed to pick some up from the farm shop, just over 1kg. (I have some growing but wont be ready til later in the year...fingers crossed) Does anyone have any spectacular recipe that I can dazzle my OH with pretty please??
    (They're his favourites & I want to earn some brownie points)

Thank you

I find them an acquired taste (i'll eat them but not over fussed).

I have cooked them a few ways - roasted (like roast potatoes), sautéd and cooked down in red wine.

This looks a bit interesting:

Stoved Jerusalem Artichokes - Vegetarian Main Courses - Recipes - Riverford Organic Vegetables

I might dig some up myself!
    Last edited by mrdinkle; 25-01-2010, 06:12 PM.
    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Not sure about recipes - although I love them roasted with beetroot - but I have plenty more tubers if anyone wants some - SAEs if you want me to send some
      Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

I like mine (home grow of course) as soup. Fry off some onions and garlic, add peeled and chopped JA's, add some stock and simmer, season, blend and serve. Easy and tasty :-)
        Last edited by Jillyreeves; 26-01-2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I love them in a cheese sauce. But then, I'd like most things in a cheese sauce!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by grannymem View Post
            Not sure about recipes - although I love them roasted with beetroot - but I have plenty more tubers if anyone wants some - SAEs if you want me to send some
            Have pm d you.

Comment

i use them in stir fries when i cant get water chestnuts.
              Also various soups - artichoke/carrot is favourite.
              Mixed roast veg - wih garlic - artichoke/celeriac/salsify/carrot/parsnip wnderful with any roast/casserole.
              I have got loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of them.
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

We've got loads to dig up at the lottie. I like them - they've got a smoky quality that I think goes really well with a sausage and chorizo casserole.

The chorizo and JA thing works really nicely actually - we've also added them to a clam and chorizo Portuguese recipe that I can post if you like the idea.
                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

They definitely have a water chestnut texture!

Just looked in a book I got at christmas. There is a recipe for JA soup:

1kg JA
                  Lemon Juice
                  50g butter
                  1 Onion (Chopped)
                  1 pint veg stock
                  150ml single cream
                  salt and white pepper

to garnish:
                  finely chopped parsley
                  croutons

If the JA are fairly smooth, peel them and drop into acidulated water (water with lemon juice in it) to prevent discolouration. If they are knobbly, scrub them in plenty of water and cut off the dark tips and any small dry roots - slice them and drop in the acidulated water.

Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat for 5 mins or until softened. Add the drained artichokes and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the stock and milk and bring to simmering point - stirring constantly. Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Put the soup in a food mixer or blender and whizz briefly, in batches if necessary, then transfer to a clean saucepan. Reheat gently without boiling, then add the cream. Serve in warm bowls with finely chopped parsley and croutons.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                    We've got loads to dig up at the lottie. I like them - they've got a smoky quality that I think goes really well with a sausage and chorizo casserole.

The chorizo and JA thing works really nicely actually - we've also added them to a clam and chorizo Portuguese recipe that I can post if you like the idea.
                    I would love the recipe - please post!

Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Thanks everyone - all sounds so good.....I am interested in the chorizo thing you make too Rhona
                      If you get five mins please post

Comment

Fantastic in a soup. But my favourite way is just to add them to boiling potatoes about half way through cooking - they don't take as long to soften up. Then drain and mash the spuds and JAs together. I just think the flavour is fantastic!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          Fantastic in a soup. But my favourite way is just to add them to boiling potatoes about half way through cooking - they don't take as long to soften up. Then drain and mash the spuds and JAs together. I just think the flavour is fantastic!
                          That sounds interesting, might give that a go! Will pop down the garden later and grab a few out. Sausage and PotJA mash tonight then

Comment

Ok...it's pretty spicy but very nice.

Littleneck clams (use large raw prawns as a substitute) If using clams, soak in salt water to purge any sand.
                            Fresh chorizo sausage (use a combo of dried chorizo and butchers pork sausage as substitute)
                            Onion
                            Garlic
                            White wine
                            Tomatoes (fresh in season or good tinned ones)
                            Parsley
                            Smoked paprika
                            Green chilies (if you use fresh chorizo though, go easy on the chili as the fresh stuff can be very spicy)

Dead easy - dice and cook the onions slowly in olive oil, for about 15 minutes until very soft. Then add the garlic and sliced chilies. Cook on low light then add crumbled or chunks of sausage meat/chorizo and flash onto a high heat briefly (you don't need to 'brown' it). Add a little white wine and reduce without stirring for a couple of minutes.

Add tomatoes - if fresh just pulse slightly in a food processor or chop), a pinch of sugar and a touch of smoked paprika.

Bring to a bubble, then turn down and simmer in open pan for 15 minutes.

Add clams and cover with well-fitting lid. Give the clams a few minutes to open (discard any that don't), check the seasoning adding salt, pepper and stir through most of the parsley. Depending on your tomatoes, if you need more body, add tomato puree, or if you need more liquid, use the clam water, skimming off the top (any sand will have sunk).

Serve with plain boiled potatoes or rice, sprinkle on the rest of the parsley.

That's the recipe - to add JA's, I par-boil for 10 minutes then add them before the clams. The chorizo/JA/smoked paprika flavours go really well.

Another way of serving it is over toasted white bread/baguette style rubbed with garlic, similar to French onion soup.
                            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Sounds great Rhona, thanks for sharing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X