Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seaweed and Asparagus

No - its not a recipe idea...

We went en famile to the beach yesterday and I couldn't resisit filling the the bottom of the pushchair up with seaweed. It looked like we'd dragged it up from the bottom of the ocean!

I know asparagus love a bit of seaweed - they've already got a good mulch of manure - shall I just sling this seaweed on top of everything and see what happens? Or do you reckon I need for chop it up, compost it for a bit, maybe be mix it up with something?

Waddya reckon?

J

After watching some country programme last night, I'd put it on your spuds.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Which seaweed is it people use? The brown bubbly stuff, the kelp, or the thin green slimy stuff?

Comment

Kelp is reputably the best but others will do (plus more abundant and require less chopping.) You must only collect the dead flotsam and jetsam stuff and not cut it live....after a storm the best time to collect.

Asparagus is a salt marsh plant and can tolerate it (handily better tan weeds and slugs) so just dumping it on unwashed works well for me...but for the patient it also make an awe-inspiring compost accelarator when added to a heap.

Seaweed tea is fantastic high trace element liquid fertilizer too - better even than comfrey tea..... it smells like an open grave in high summer but then fruiting stuff, esp Toms, love it

The west coast Irish and growers on Jersey use it for spuds...guess it is so available....then they do grow excellent spuds so the results speak for themselves....me, I like good fresh spuds but I do love asparagus so....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X