Seville Oranges

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seville Oranges

I just love this time of the year when the seville oranges brighten up even the darkest of fruit/veg displays. I have made 18 jars of marmalade so far but I still have another 2kgs of oranges. Does anyone know if they freeze ok so I can make some more marmalade a bit later ?

I nearly always freeze some - simply stick them in a Tesco bag, seal and bung in the freezer. Everyone still enjoys the marmalade made from them.

By the way, where did you find the oranges? I haven't come across them yet this year.
    Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Well I live in Guernsey so it wouldn't apply to the uk prob...
      The seville oranges always come in during the 2nd/3rd week of jan, but I have to be quick because as far as I know there is only one place that sells them on the island.
      This year our local retailer must have been prepared because from what I saw he had about 6 crates of them. Funny though I was the only young(ish) person I saw buy them and I was in the shop for ages. Happy hunting, will bung my stash in the freezer now. Thx

Comment

I made my first ever marmalade this weekend and it was great, I got my oranges from Waitrose as that was where I ended up this week for my shopping.

Comment

They've got seville oranges at Turnips at Borough market for anyone in London

Comment

Love Borough Market just wish I got up there more often

Comment

Just picked up 10lbs in our local grocers, will be back in the morning for more if they have any left?

Comment

I am interested in making some marmalade, is there any acceptable substitute if Sevilles are not available?
                Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

For me it is the skin of the Sevilles that makes the marmalade.

You can use oranges, grapefruit and some lemons in place of the sevilles and this will make a reasonable marmalade or jelly.

Comment

I will obviously try and get Seville, but wanted to know how important incase i can't get em'.

Sticky post-it note inside my wallet should be enough to remind me when shopping tomorrow.

Ta for the info.
                    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

No Seville oranges here yet - maybe next week.
                      I always buy loads and freeze what I don't use straight away. I have a good recipe for making marmalade from still-frozen fruit - it doesn't taste any different from the fresh stuff and is gorgeous. Of course, I won't be able to eat any till I'm down to my goal weight. Grrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by annacruachan View Post
                        No Seville oranges here yet - maybe next week.
                        I always buy loads and freeze what I don't use straight away. I have a good recipe for making marmalade from still-frozen fruit - it doesn't taste any different from the fresh stuff and is gorgeous. Of course, I won't be able to eat any till I'm down to my goal weight. Grrrrrr.
                        we are in fife and i got some from our local fruit shop the other day (none in tesco yet though).

any chance of your recipe for frozen oranges as that's where half of mine are going tomorrow!

Comment

If you use sweet oranges then you need less sugar which might affect setting, adding lemons helps. My neighbour in Spain grows oranges and tell me to help myself. (He has acres of them). Unfortunately he doesn't grow Sevilles but does has a few lemon trees.

Comment

I can't stand marmalade - I think it's just wrong. Mr R LOVES it though so I'm going to have a bash at making him some this afternoon...
                            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                              we are in fife and i got some from our local fruit shop the other day (none in tesco yet though).

any chance of your recipe for frozen oranges as that's where half of mine are going tomorrow!
                              Sorry, haven't looked at this thread for ages so missed yours!
                              We are just off to Oban for the weekly shop so will send you the recipe tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X