frozen seed potatoes??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen seed potatoes??

I've just had a thought...are seed potatoes going to be in short supply this year due to being frosted????
    Are any frosted ones not going to grow???

I remember in previous years shop bought spuds blackened by the clod.
    I wonder if seed merchants are able to keep their seed spuds frost free??

there's food for thought!

..your views/thoughts???....
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I'm getting mine from tattieman, had an email the other day to say there will be a slight delay due to the weather.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

If they are on the shelves now they should be OK, but I guess it would depend how the retailers store them before they get to the shelves ????

Comment

All the potatoes I have are all nicely tucked up in my frost proof sheds.
        The main problem is the transit from my sheds to the shops. If I send them and they get frosted then who foots the damage bill? There are alot of online retailers that have no storage facilities and they have been sending out emails saying that the potatoes will be late this year and that you don't need to chit your spuds. We are looking at using heated transport to deliver to the shops.
        My advice is to be patient.
        If you find some in the shops check for any signs of discolour or smell.
        I read that some big retail chains had stored their spuds outside over xmas so just keep your eyes peeled.
        Potato videos here.

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
          All the potatoes I have are all nicely tucked up in my frost proof sheds.
          That's good to hear!
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Plucked up courage to check all mine in the garage yesterday and was relived to find that they were all OK, may be helped by being stored against the house side wall.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have 6 Smile tatties being stored at the bottom of the fridge. When should I take them out to encourage chitting. If they already have should I rub them off.

Comment

When do you want to plant them out and where, Brengirl? If you're going to chit them then the general recommendation is that you do this for about 6 weeks before planting so unless you are going to grow them undercover then it's a bit early yet, especially as you're only growing a very small number so am guessing you probably don't want to risk them.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Our local GC had seed potatoes before Xmas! I've been and bought some, but not sure what to do with them now. I'd normally put them into egg boxes in the shed and then they would chit VERY slowly, but temperatures are so low, I can't risk that.

Would an unheated room in the house be too warm?
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

An unheated bedroom or similar is ideal for chitting

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X