Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My asparagus has started!

What do I do

Last march, I planted three crowns of connovers collosal in a large half-barrel (we keep moving house, so it seemed like a good idea rather than a fixed bed) - I resisted temptation and did not pick a shoot. Left to turn to ferns, I cut them down when they were yellow (as advised by many a book).

This week - THREE spears have grown I suspect that there are more on the way, they are a pink/purple colour - what do I do? I *really* don't want to jeopardize this years already small crop

all (most ) suggestions gratefully received

Lucky you, at least they've survived - I'm not sure about mine. You have two choices, either cut the first three and enjoy and leave the rest to provide the fern and nourish the crown (I think they recommend 3 years before regular cropping) or don't cut any at all. Where do you keep your half-barrel?

Comment

It is kept on the patio, right next to the house. They suffer all the elements there (especially wind- we are exposed, on one side of a windy valley), but no doubt get a little protection from the building itself.

Should I be concerned about their pink/purple colour (the variety I am expecting should be green!?)

Comment

What colour were the spears last year? It wouldn't be the first time someone thought they had bought one variety and actually ended up with something else. My daughter thought she was growing verbena bonariensis last year, and actually ended up with bronze fennel. There are several varieties of purple(ish) asparagus.

Comment

Last year they were definately green.

Maybe I should just leave them alone? I am worried that if I cut them, the frost might get into the crowns through an 'open wound'.

Or is it April already!? Is this global warming in action?

Comment

I'm not sure about global warming, but the weather's certainly been wierd. I can feel it in my bones that we're going to get some hard frost (or maybe I'm just a worryguts). I had to mend the greenhouse today after the storms, and I checked my asparagus seedlings that I didn't have time to plant out last autumn. They're shooting!! I now have to find a "window" when the weather is reasonable and I'm not at work, so that I can plant them out on the lottie. Trouble is, when do I plant? Textbooks say March, but what is the weather going to be like then.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X