Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus - Any tips ???

Hi All
    Does anyone have any advice on planting asparagus?
    I have plants that i have grown from seed over the last five years, these are all in pots and have grown really well. I know that they don't like to be moved so want to make sure i plant them up well.
    Any advice?
    Thanks

Planting asparagus

You need to dig a trench put the bottom must be at a pitch, like a roof, the soil must be well draining, so plenty of grit mixed. Place the crowns on the ridge and make sure the roots are down either side of the ridge. Then cover over with soil with plenty of humus, compost, well rotted manure and grit. You do not harvest the spears in the first year and only cut down late on, in the second year you can only take a few spears and the third year you can harvest away.

Andrewo
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Official line

Found the following:

Asparagus is a perennial plant that can grow to a height of five feet or more and can produce spears for twelve to fifteen years. You should plant it an area where it will not shade other vegetables in your garden. It is grown for its edible spears, but the asparagus foliage is also a pleasing addition to a garden. This is a vegetable that requires patience, as the asparagus spears should not be harvested until the third year after being planted.

To prepare a bed for asparagus crowns, till an area about four feet wide and as long as you wish, at least 10 to 12 inches deep. Spread 3 to 4 inches of organic matter over the area and add manure at the rate of 1/2 pound per square foot. Add a complete fertilizer such as 10-20-10 at the rate of 1/2 pound per 100 square feet of bed area. Check the pH of your soil; and if is less than 6.0, add agricultural lime at the rate of 2-6 pounds per100 square feet of bed. Mix all of these ingredients thoroughly into the soil, and your bed is ready for planting, which is generally done during late winter or early spring.

After cold temperatures have abated, obtain asparagus crowns that are one to two years old, and plant them as soon as possible so they don't dry out. It is possible to keep them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator up to a week.

In your prepared bed, dig planting trenches not less than 10 inches deep and 10 inches wide, spaced about 2 1/2 to 3 feet apart. At the bottom of the trench, add two inches of a mixture of half compost and half well-rotted manure and about one teaspoon of phosphate fertilizer for each foot of row. Then add an inch of good soil to avoid placing the crowns directly onto the fertilizer. Slightly mound the soil down the center of the trench, and you are ready to plant your crowns.

Place the crowns over the mound in the trench 15 to 18 inches apart with the roots spread in an outward direction. Immediately cover the crowns with 2 inches of soil to prevent them from drying out. If you plant two rows, try to stagger the crowns so that they are not directly across from each other in the rows. After placing 2 inches of soil over the crowns, water well. In several weeks, the first young spears will appear. As they grow, you should fill in the trench until it is level with the garden surface, being careful not to cover the asparagus foliage. When the trench is completely filled, mulch around the plants with two inches of organic matter and keep weeds away from the plants.

Andrewo
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

thanks

Thanks very Much for your advice!
        I can't wait to get going with it over the weekend

Thanks again
        Bridget

Comment

I've been umming and aahing about asparagus, and not got round to getting crowns by post, mostly because I couldn't find time to prepare a new bed for it (what with everything else)....But, I made an impulse purchase yesterday from the garden centre. Not crowns, but about 6 small plants in a pot (only £3.50). So, is the advice the same for these as one year old crowns? It says on the label that you can take a few spears in the second year, but not crop properly til the third year. Should I plant them at the same level as in the pot, but in a well prepared bed with organic food?

Comment

I planted 10 crowns at the beginning of April. 8 have come up, still waiting for the other 2 and they are at hugely different sizes, eg the biggest is about 2' tall and the smallest are literally only just showing through the ground. only 1 plant has 2 spears tho, the others are all single spears. I know I have to leave them to go to fern this year, but I will get more spears than 1 per crown in future wont I? (thinks: 10 spears not much of a meal!!)

Comment

I certainly hope so! I'm growing 10 crowns this year for the first year too. Nothing showing yet though as far as i know, but i haven't been to the allotment this week (tut tut).

Comment

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, have been reading all the great tips about gardening for a little while now, I am new to gardening too, but wondered if anyone could help, I have started to grow Asparagus in pots in the greenhouse, they are all looking like little ferns at the moment, Do i just leave them or do i need to do something with them. All advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X