Embarrassing question about leeks!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrassing question about leeks!

Yes, I know I am supposed to be a Guru, and yes I am a Geordie and supposed to know EVERYTHING about leeks, but.........................

I have loads of leeklets in the unheated greenhouse which were grown from leek grass off the top off a seedhead.
    A lot of showmen will probably have there's in a HEATED greenhouse just now to keep the frost off. I did intend putting a small heater in the greenhouse but have decided against it and the leeks will just have to take their chances.
    Being as leeks are basically a winter crop and sit outdoors in all weather, what do you think my chances will be of planting them in the spring WITHOUT them running straight to seed?
    They are of a size that will need planting into idividual pots before long but I don't want to go to the bother if it will all be in vain.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Can not give a definative answer but would have thought that as long as you can keep them frost free they would be allright for planting out next year. Please note that is only what I think not what I know. Sorry couldn't be more informative.

Wouldn't even like to take a guess as to whether or not they'd run to seed. Sorry.

Edited to say; don't know why I bothered posting that. Probably no help at all.
    Last edited by snuffer; 02-12-2009, 01:06 PM.
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

dunno either ... mine are still in the garden not really doing much

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
        dunno either ... mine are still in the garden not really doing much
        Mine too but good luck Snadge.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

And you're asking US........... My leeks are still pathetic and they're outside
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

What will it take time away from if you do spend it potting up the leeks? If they go to seed next year, will you kick yourself saying that was a waste of time that I could have used to...? Build a new greenhouse; turn the compost heaps; mend a chicken coop? Or, is it something you can do in 'pottering time' where you aren't missing out on doing something else and so it will just be a minor niggle if it goes wrong?

That's what would decide it for me - if you have much more pressing jobs, then sod the leeks coz they'll definitely go to seed if you sacrifice another job for them...

Comment

I dunno.

I also have some leek grass and I'm just leaving them be to see what happens - mainly whether it will be worth taking the grass again. They are in my unheated greenhouse and there they will stay.

Comment

I don't know either - fat lot of use we are eh? However, I'd guess that as long as they keep growing steadily (no hot flushes if you see what I mean) they should be ok next year. It's the old'uns that go to seed isn't it.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

leek grass? that's a new one on me - is it legal?
                  Last edited by piskieinboots; 02-12-2009, 04:32 PM.
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                    leek grass? that's a new one on me - is it legal?
                    same here
                    what do you all mean by leek grass ?
                    all i can say is i put my surpless leeks in a bucket untill i needed them for planting out, and im eating some of them already.
                    a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Keep up!!!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...lie_37290.html

Comment

I was washing my hair that day!
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

Yeah, as you can tell I got lost right at the beginning....
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Image from t'internet for you

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_W19ZkFqGT-...+leek+1+SM.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                              What will it take time away from if you do spend it potting up the leeks? If they go to seed next year, will you kick yourself saying that was a waste of time that I could have used to...? Build a new greenhouse; turn the compost heaps; mend a chicken coop? Or, is it something you can do in 'pottering time' where you aren't missing out on doing something else and so it will just be a minor niggle if it goes wrong?

That's what would decide it for me - if you have much more pressing jobs, then sod the leeks coz they'll definitely go to seed if you sacrifice another job for them...
                              Can't 'sod' the leeks Sarz as I've already put two years worth of my time into these blasted leeks up until now. Was embarrasssed to see I had written about being embarrassed TWICE though after reading Zazen's link!

Your reply is the most intuitive up til now though. I think I may as well persevere with potting them up individually. Nothing spoiling in the greenhouse at the mo and plenty of space. I don't want show quality leeks either..........I just want to be able to say I've grown them from something other than seed!
                              A plus side will be, if any DON'T go to seed, these will be the ones I will use for future propagation!

PS They are still growing like mad, even in a cold greenhouse.
                              Last edited by Snadger; 02-12-2009, 06:56 PM.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X