Transplanting overwintering leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplanting overwintering leeks

I have some spare leeks that I was going to give to a neighbour, so that they can try growing them. They are not that big, only about pencil thickness, so I thought they would transplant well.
    The only problem is, it has been dinging down snow and last night it was a hard frost - minus 9 supposedly. Tonight/tomorrow looks like being more of the same, and it may continue for who knows how long.
    If I do dib these in for the folks next door, will frozen rain/ snow falling into the holes damage the roots/leaves and harm the plants ? Or are these things tough as old boots ? Anyone got experience of this problem ?
    On the plus side, if my woodstove gets any hotter, I may even take off my jacket...
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

I personally would leave them where they are until the weather settles down a bit!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I agree with Snadger, unless you can cloche/fleece them for a couple of weeks 'til they settle in a bit.

Comment

What I was thinking was that if I leave them where they are the ground will freeze solid with frost, and we will just have a clump of leek seedlings that don't have much room to grow they are and can't be transplanted. But they will maybe only really grow come spring anyway, will they ?
        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Ir's a bit late to transplant. Come spring they will certainly start growing, but may run to seed very quickly.

Comment

I agree with Rusty Lady, it's too late to transplant. Can you just thin them out a bit and then let the others grow and use them as baby leeks?
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X