Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for raspberries!

Morning all,

Just a quick question. I've just received my Joan J raspberries this morning and want to get them in the ground asap. I was wondering whether I need to build some supports for them and if so what's the best way to do it?

Any help much appreciated...

Hi RR - I think they are autumn fruiting ones - so that means they will do all the growing next year and fruit on the new canes - the old canes are cut away at the end of the year. I think they should be fine just planted out as you want with the short canes marking where they are over the winter - unless the canes are really long - in which case, cut them back. You may want to support them next year when the canes start to grow just to keep the rows tidy (and to hold the groaning weight of fruit!)
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks Jeanied, thats just what I was after. Has anyone else got any ideas for making supports?

Comment

Originally posted by redlandrover90 View Post
        Thanks Jeanied, thats just what I was after. Has anyone else got any ideas for making supports?
        I just bang a couple of 8 foot 1" by 1" about 2 feet into the ground either end of the row and string wire (wire string?) that I buy at Wilko's between these end supports. Find that they are quite strong enough and it's like me - cheap.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Last year I bought 2 arch thingies from Wilko's. That is what my raspberries are trained over.

Comment

I have bought a couple of trellis panels and replaced 2 of my old feater edge fence panels with them.
            I am building a long and narrow raised bed about 6 inches wide and the length of the two panels and will try them in there this year.
            I figure that they will provide a good screen but at the same time let a little more light through and also some much needed ventilation for the other plants. I suffered with mildew last year so hopefully this will help and also provide an attractive support.
            Let us know how you get on !

JJ
            The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

Hi

I have Joan J which I planted last year. I didn't actually get round to supporting them until the gales started about a month ago. I used the 1 by 1 and wire/string method as well. By the way my Joan J have been fabulous this year - lots of fruit and they taste fantastic - hope yours are as good for you next year.
              Last edited by Lovely Helen; 09-12-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X