Jeruselum Artichokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeruselum Artichokes

I am new to veg growing, I 've only had my allotment for a year and most of that time has been spent battling weeds some of which are a completely new species to me!

Anyway enough of my weed related problems. I'm interested in growing Jeruselum artichokes and was wondering if anyone had any good advice.

Are they easy?
    Do they like fairly heavy, clay soil that doesn't really dry out in summer?
    Where do you get them from?
    How many would I need for 4 adults and to share with friends?

If anyone has any helpful advice I would be most grateful.

Welcome Pyewacket! Can't help you with the JAs as I have only just been sent some and will be trying them for the first time this year. I'm sure there will be others along any minute who will answer your questions!
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I recieved some from someone on this forum. She has the growing plans for them Mine looked like little piglets. Orders from other plot holders for mine next year are coming in thick and fast. Due to Carol Klien I bet the seed companies will run out of them a bit like that Cooking lady did for free range eggs .
      Benacre
      http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Benacre View Post
        I recieved some from someone on this forum. She has the growing plans for them Mine looked like little piglets. Orders from other plot holders for mine next year are coming in thick and fast. Due to Carol Klien I bet the seed companies will run out of them a bit like that Cooking lady did for free range eggs .
        Benacre

Easy!!!!........

Comment

Ha Ha but they did! ask Supersprout.
          Benacer

Comment

Hi Pyewacket,
            Another vote for easy!

One of my gardening chums asked for info about growing, harvesting and eating JAs so I wrote a short 'plot to plate' guide. If this might fit the bill, do pm me with your email addy I'd be happy to forward it to you - don't want to be a Forum Hog
            Last edited by supersprout; 11-01-2007, 09:03 PM.
            SSx
            not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Supersprout's plot to plate guide is excellent! Recommend it to everyone (sorry Supersprout!)
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

thank you Jennie, glad you found it useful!
                Last edited by supersprout; 13-01-2007, 12:26 PM.
                SSx

Comment

Hi - I grow J artichokes every year - once you have them they are difficult to get rid of but I find them invaluable. I roast them, mash them, make soup and have made crisps from them. They are simplicity itself to grow; are a member of the sunflower family. Just plant and forget - they grow quite tall 5-6 ft and get a delightful little flower on the top. They form a good screen and shelter. Enjoy! from Bel

Comment

Crisps is a new one on me Bel, how do you make those - fried or in a dehydrator?
                    SSx

Comment

Hmm, might have to get some to have a go at crisps. Wonder if their legendary 'windiness' is reduced by certain ways of preparing? I have a dehydrator and make parsnip crisps all the time with it - the kids love them.

Shall go beg some from one of the lovely old boys on the lottie next time I'm down there.
                      Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

I found my sheet usefull. I bought some from the Veg Shop to try and yes I have Farted and Farted and Farted and Yup Farted.
                        Benacre

Comment

Benacre, you may well have farted for England, gold medal class, the thing that makes Jerusalem Artichokes unpopular is the SMELL. The farting is a minor side effect compared with the added smell, or should I say stench!! That is why they are not very popular!!

Comment

I'll vote for easy and compared to some of the things I have forced up my nostrils at work JAs are rose-like. You don't need many tubers but they will be with you forever and a day.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Blimey - have just seen 5 tubers of Fuseau on eBay, currently at £9 (inc postage).

Those of you 'blessed' with JA's, get digging and earn yourself a few bob!
                              Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X